Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop crashes when trying to publish without signing in first

There was a similar issue last year. It seems that has re-occured.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Trying-to-Publish-in-the-service-without-saving-the-file...

When I attempt to publish a report and have not signed  into the Desktop yet, a command prompt box appears then disappears and Power BI crashes. Also, it seems that   after the January 2018 update, Power BI requires to re-signin for each report created prior to installing the  update.  Normally after I have  already signed in, Power BI will not request for  another  signin the next time  I open the same report. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @danextian,

1. Based on my test, if we don't sign in before publish report in Power BI desktop, we can also publish the report successfully. Please try to check if your workmates have the same issue in January desktop version. Please also restart the machine then test again. 

2. When we open Power BI desktop, the account whether signed in or not depend on last time status. If the last time, the account is signed in, the account keep signed in when we open any report use the Power BI desktop. Please sign in Power BI desktop, then close all Power BI desktop windows, reopen the report to see if the issue persists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

danextian
Super User

Hi @Vicky_Song,

The issue is intermittent. Also, it seems that although I have already logged to a PBIX (after the Jan 2018 upgrade), I still need to sign in the next time I open the same report.

danextian
Super User

Well, I have just recreated the issue. After opening the PBIX and not  yet logged in, I should login first then close and reopen the report before publishing because if I did not, the file would crash again. A black box  would appear (sort of a command prompt) for a few seconds then disappeared followed by the report crashing. Closing and re-opening the report is such a pain if it involves a fairly large dataset as the query will have to refresh again. 

danextian
Super User

Just an update. I have already logged in to the report. I haven't even closed it. I was already logged in prior to saving it. Saved it then tried to re-publish. I was suddenly logged out and then the black dialogue box re-apeared. sqldumperror.png

royhampton
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issues as danextian.

Logged into desktop Power BI. Refresh my data manually. Click publish - I'm signed out of Desktop - then the desktop crashes and I see the blackDQLDUMPER.exe screen.

aabbey
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. 

SQLDumper.exe fires off when I try to publish and then Power BI closes immediately or has to be force closed because it is hung up. 

Not sure why it won't keep me signed in, either.  

danextian
Super User

hi @Vicky_Song @v-qiuyu-msft

Could you guys take a  look at this. This doesn't seem to be an isolated case. 

aabbey
Frequent Visitor

Additional information:

I am using Version: 2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January, 2018), which is the latest and greatest. 

Still happening this morning:

Opened Power BI and I was still logged in from a previous session. 

I did some work, and saved a few times. 

I tried to save one last time before publishing. The screen froze very briefly and then Power BI logged me out suddenly. 

I noticed that it logged me out, so instead of trying to publish, I tried to close the file and reopen. 

SQL Dumper still fired off and Power BI crashed. 

This is getting unusable.

I can't work for more than about 30 minutes without a crash. 

Please fix. 

DonalMc
Advocate II

I'm seeing this too since I installed the January update.

I'm pretty sure I'm signed in when it happens since I would do a desktop refresh and then publish and then boom..