Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop crashes - This report ran out of memory, and the application must close

I'm having recurring Power BI Desktop crashes, starting with the September update. The message is: 

Unexpected Error

We're sorry. This report ran out of memory, and the application must close.

Windows Task Manager shows a few GB of free memory. It's happening on multiple files, while I'm editing the report pages.  I've sent in a crash report, I also have saved all the dumps.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@mike_honey ,

I couldn't reproduce your issue. Please make sure power bi is the latest version. In addtion, if this issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket here.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

dharsanj
Helper II

I am also encountering the same issue of repeated crashes after the message:

"This report ran out of memory, and the application must close".

Any pointers? I am losing unsaved work because of this. 

Thanks

SarahJTang
Regular Visitor

I am seeing the same issue so many times after upgrade for Mar 2020 version, is there a solution?

dador33
Frequent Visitor

Good morning,
In the December version the same thing happens to me. I tried to update to the latest version but it was worse I couldn't even load the data the error was out memory.
Do you need to configure any memory space inside the power bi?

My computer i7 with 16 gb memory.
Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue. Any solution yet? 

Error Loading data in PBI .png

PJAY
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I'm facing the same issue with the April 2020 version and I cant stand it.

I have lost so much data, its nuts, it keeps closing out.

I was on the Spetember 2019 version and the same report worked perfectly fine then.

This week, I had the IT update to newest version as there was a feature update,Our IT updates our PowerBi every few months and I don't know if I can work with this April version of PowerBI for the next few months.

Isane, this is how you loose customers, Tableau never gave such issues. 

Please help 

joshishweta
Frequent Visitor

Same issue, it's been a while since I am getting an error message as 

"Something went wrong

We're sorry. This report ran out of memory, and application must close."

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Yeah I also noticed similar issues in recent weeks. Back to the "good old days" of hitting Save after almost every task ...

I think we can expect this any time there is a major Microsoft conference. I imagine there is intense pressure on the Power BI Dev team to deliver a list of announceables (including a Power BI Desktop release), on a hard date.

It seems to be running a bit better since I updated to the build dated 2020-05-21. Also that terrible new "Working on it ..." lag that occurs any time you add or edit a measure seems to pass by a bit quicker on this build.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please confirm if anyone has found resolution.I am still facing same issue and unable to open the PBIX file os 165MB from POWERBI desktop and error screenshot as follows:

SandhyaS_0-1604253189923.png

It is imapcting all my reports badly , Please shared resolution if any ASAP.

mike_honey
Memorable Member

@Anonymous check your build of Power BI Desktop is the latest. The version first released for "October" seemed quite buggy, the 27 October silent update seems a bit better.

Also a file that size will need quite a lot of free RAM (e.g. 8GB free) to open and use successfully.