Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop application stealing focus multiple times when refreshing or opening

Please can something be done about this infuriating problem? I want to be able to set a big PBIX dashboard to open, and then while it is taking time to load, go and work on another windows application. However BI Desktop steals focus at least twice whilst loading its data, meaning I can't work on much else as I don't know when it will next focus.

Please help - I am tearing my hair out here!

Video showing the problem when starting a blank PBIX file:

https://vimeo.com/406264050

The password to access the Vimeo video is "PleaseDontFobMeOff"

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dzfx

Not sure I got your point exactly. It looks the issue happens when you modify reports in other Power BI desktop windows when the report is opening/refreshing. It would be better if you could provide a video to show the issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

dzfx
Advocate II

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft  Qiuyun Yu, thanks for the reply, please see video clip at this Vimeo page:

https://vimeo.com/406264050

The password to access the Vimeo video is "PleaseDontFobMeOff"

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dzfx

Thank you for your video. I tested follow your steps but unfortunately not able to reproduce the issue. What's your Power BI desktop version? Would you please run the same Power BI desktop version 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (March 2020) as ours then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyu Yu

dzfx
Advocate II

Hi Qiuyu Yu

I am using Power BI Desktop March 2020 edition, downloaded a few days ago. Please can you try to recreate the error, thanks.

dzfx
Advocate II

Hello, any update on this as yet?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dzfx

Unfortunately I'm still not able to reproduce the issue. Please create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

dzfx
Advocate II

Hi Qiuyun Yu

When I try to follow your advice I get this prompt:

Need admin approval
powerbi.microsoft.com

powerbi.microsoft.com needs permission to access resources in your organisation that only an admin can grant. Please ask an admin to grant permission to this app before you can use it.

I do have a Power BI Pro licence and am signed in with it, but it just keeps looping round saying I need admin rights just to raise a support ticket? Please help.

dzfx
Advocate II

Hi, Microsoft @v-qiuyu-msft   - please can you give me an update for this most frustrating problem? I am unable to access the support system you mentioned. I am Power BI Pro licence holder, this is a service we pay for. Thanks

dzfx
Advocate II

Hi, Microsoft @v-qiuyu-msft   - please can you give me an update for this most frustrating problem? I am unable to access the support system you mentioned. I am Power BI Pro licence holder, this is a service we pay for. Thanks

FAY2020
Resolver I

I have this issue too, it is not a hard one to understand, here is a helpful link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stealing

If I open Word, and navigate away, Word will not force its way to the front of my display, it will wait in the background until I navigate to it. Power BI, on the other hand, constantly forces its way to the foreground, god forbid you are typing somewhere else and not looking at the screen.

It happens after document load, refresh finish etc, as these processes can take some time we do not sit there idly, we get on with something else.