Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop app not opening and giving an error

I was using the free trial Power BI Desktop app before switching to Power BI Pro. I ended up having both the old free version of Microsoft Power BI Desktop app and the new version of Power BI Desktop app for a pro user. I had already build some reports with the old version and yesterday when trying to open the new version I got this error:bi_error.png

Below are the details of the error message copied to the clipboard:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: zipFileName

Stack Trace:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOBlockManager.ValidateNormalizeFileName(String zipFileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileHeader.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, Encoding encoding)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileBlock.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, String fileName, Int64 position, ZipIOCentralDirectoryBlock centralDir, ZipIOCentralDirectoryFileHeader centralDirFileHeader)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager, String fileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOBlockManager.LoadLocalFileBlock(String zipFileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.GetFile(String zipFileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.GetFiles()
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage.ContentTypeHelper..ctor(ZipArchive zipArchive, IgnoredItemHelper ignoredItemHelper)
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Storage.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream stream, FileMode fileMode, FileAccess fileAccess)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Storage.Local.ZipLocalStorage..ctor(Stream stream, Boolean isReadonly)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.LoadCachedStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.Access()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: zipFileName

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.93.641.0","ModuleName":"WindowsBase.dll","Component":"MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOBlockManager","Error":"System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException","MethodDef":"ValidateNormalizeFileName","ErrorOffset":"65"}

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

I did try reporting this issue by pressing the button on the popup and sent it over:

bi_error_send.png

I was recommended to unistall both versions of Power BI Desktop app, reboot my laptop and then install the new version again but that didn't solve the issue.

I would highly appreciate prompt help on this issue.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

Try to install the previous version to test it again.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

Thanks for your response! I was able to solve the issue by installing the new version as a different user on my laptop and it worked. The only inconvenience was that I had to switch my whole account to that new user but at least it working now.

Thank you for your help!

Mariam