Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop WebView2 Out Of Memory

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2 running Out of memory. We have identified some of the top causes of this and have the details below. If that does not address your Out of memory problem, contact us at  pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Out of Memory cause: 

Custom visuals causing memory leak - If you are using any custom visuals and are running into Out of Memory crahses, please try removing the custom visuals to check if it resolves the issue. If it does, please reach out with the visual which was cauing the memory leak so we can address it. 

If you are not using any custom visuals and are still running into this, it could be due to having a lot of report pages and visuals per page. This causes the browser heap memory to exceed the 4GB limit and crash. This is sadly a limitation of chromium. 

Possible workaround 

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Thanks for your sharing about checking WebView2 issue in Power BI Desktop, it would help others who may have the same issue on the commnunity.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, you can contact the above e-mail or reply to this post.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
bematth
Helper I

I'm also getting this error when trying to create a new column. Granted, the DAX formula is a bit long and complex, but I've done longer and more complex before without issue. 

bematth_0-1668604831141.png

FritzVPL
Advocate II

I am experiencing this error crashing my file 5+ times a day. Only 3rd party visual visible on the page is Text Filter by Microsoft. Any solutions for this other than reducing the number of elements on the page?

Selecting or unselecting the web page connector infrastructure update option does not seem to affect the frequency of crashes.

belvoir99
Resolver III

About once a week WebView crashes. I have a fairly big model but with Windows 10, 24GB RAM, i7 CPU and fast SSD, it isn't my machine. Today installed latest version of Desktop and it crashes again. No other software crashes. Sometimes it tries to crash gracefully with an error message, sometimes just shuts down without warning.

Now need to spend time re-doing my work.

Desktop used to be relatively stable. Now it crashes frequently. As someone who earns a living from being a Power BI Developer, it has a big impact upon my work.

Some of my clients have also mentioned it crashing, too.

An urgent review by a senior member of the Power BI Development Team is needed please. This is not trivial.

MamaOf2QTs
Helper I

This report has crashed the last 5 times I tried to refresh the data. I've gotten a variety of error messages, but the most recent sent me here.  I also received an error about an external issue and an error message about running out of memory.

This report is running off of spreadsheets on share point and data from Azure.

MamaOf2QTs_0-1670356041760.png

asubr
Frequent Visitor

Trying to upload a json file to the custom map for power bi shape map and it crashes with this error.

Anyone who has a workaround for this issue?

malineek
Regular Visitor

This is ridiculous. Microsoft needs to fix this. No custom visuals in my report and I've been shut down three times today because of Webview2. 

Lucas_Phil
Helper I

Hi!
Just got shut down because of this error and was sent to this page.
I have no visuals in my report, although I have a good amount of data and imported tables (an amount that takes around 6-7 minutes to refresh every time).

But yes, got shut down and lost a good amount of work that not even the auto-save function helped me.

EBGAL
Helper III

Hi @rahulshevde 

I have had this issue multiple times today.

Has this issue not been resolved since the last year?

Thanks

Evan

schaema3
Advocate III

Hi, also I'm facing this issue now frequently using the Edge Browser. In my case the root cause is a custom visual from DEVSCOP called "Filter by List". This filter is great as it allows to copy/paste multiple cells from i.e. Excel into it in bulk but seems to be the issue in my case. When this filter was cleared I didn't experience any memory issues anymore.

FritzVPL
Advocate II

Still occuring. Happens often when attempting to save the file. So frustrating that being proactive to back up my work to prevent losing my work is causing me to lose my work...