Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop WebView2 Out Of Memory

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2 running Out of memory. We have identified some of the top causes of this and have the details below. If that does not address your Out of memory problem, contact us at  pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Out of Memory cause: 

Custom visuals causing memory leak - If you are using any custom visuals and are running into Out of Memory crahses, please try removing the custom visuals to check if it resolves the issue. If it does, please reach out with the visual which was cauing the memory leak so we can address it. 

If you are not using any custom visuals and are still running into this, it could be due to having a lot of report pages and visuals per page. This causes the browser heap memory to exceed the 4GB limit and crash. This is sadly a limitation of chromium. 

Possible workaround 

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Thanks for your sharing about checking WebView2 issue in Power BI Desktop, it would help others who may have the same issue on the commnunity.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, you can contact the above e-mail or reply to this post.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Thanks for your sharing about checking WebView2 issue in Power BI Desktop, it would help others who may have the same issue on the commnunity.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, you can contact the above e-mail or reply to this post.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

KarenKazab
Frequent Visitor

Hi this is causing me major grief the last few days, just keeping hanging when trying to connect to calendars via exchange online, I am trying to load about 30 calendars, I get through a few with a service account creditial and they load fine and then it starts to get real slow and everytually get the WebView2 error which brought me here. Then Teams/Chrome etc start to crash too along with Power BI desktop. I dont think I am using any custom visuals and the issue just seems to be happening when trying to connect and load in transform. I deleted the cache and cancelled the refresh a few times, rebooted etc and could carry on adding calendars but after about 3 connections would then crash. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

We are facing the Webview issue quite frequently which is disrupting our work and business continuity. 

This is resulting in all the apps closing abruptly .

Can you suggest the possible fixes and next steps ?

Thanks,

Srujana

jsaw
Frequent Visitor

I am also experiencing this issue and have been for the past few days. It it only happening when I try to open up an existing Power BI file. It loads for a few minutes and then crashes with this error before it can finish loading. 

komanguy
Regular Visitor

Hi everyone!

I don't use any custom visual but Power BI keeps crashing! Even with few visuals.

palombie
Frequent Visitor

Always the same issue.....deseparate

komanguy
Regular Visitor

As @KarenKazab pointed out, the february version of Power BI doesn't seem to have this bug.

You can download prior versions at the following link:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Cheers!

asantman123
Regular Visitor

Interesting - and unfortunate.  I have been using the Proving Ground Tracer add-in to Revit for creating visuals since last year - with no issues.  I started gettign out of memory issues just in the last 3 weeks or so.  So I assumed it was on my end and almost completely rebuilt my system to capture as much free space & memory as possible.  Now MS tells us its on them....thanks?

How do we fix this? the link to code doesn't help much unless you're somehow suggesting rolling back chrome, rolling back Bi?

I am uisng Windows 10Pro, 64Gb Ram, 1Tb HD and am running PowerBi Desktop, publish to our account etc.

@rahulshevde Any help is appreicated!

palombie
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft...will you ever wake up???

KarenKazab
Frequent Visitor

I deleted my earlier comment about the Feb version not having the bug, its been ok on that version for a day and a half as I had created a completely new version of the same report causing issues so thought it was ok, but then this afternoon I opened an older package (one which I was getting all the issues with) and then the dreaded out of memory issue and then Surface crash (just wanted to get a tiny bit of code out of it grrrr) went back to my newer model which hasnt had any issues and then power bi desktop would just close on its own (no error) after a basic change like renaming a column.

Frustrating to say the least!