cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power BI Desktop November 2022 Issue - Cannot combine files from SharePoint folder

My Power BI Desktop updated to the November 2022 version and I am no longer able to connect to a SharePoint folder and combine Excel (xlsx) files. The error returned is "We didn't recognize the format of your first file". I have unstalled the Nov 2022 version and went back to Oct 2022 version and it is working.

Hi @shike_marples ,

Can't repro your problem.In my testing, I can connect to a sharepoint folder and combine excel file.

How do you combine ? And what's the format of your first file?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @shike_marples ,

Can't repro your problem.In my testing, I can connect to a sharepoint folder and combine excel file.

How do you combine ? And what's the format of your first file?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

mkazy_PGS

I am also experiencing the same issue that @shike_marples is reporting after the November update. 

SharePoint folder is the target with .xlsx files in the folder (only) and when attempting to Combine, I receive the same error that was outlined above. 

shike_marples
Regular Visitor

Hello @v-mengzhu-msft 

Here is my testing results when using the Oct 2022 version and Nov 2022 version. Same SharePoint site, same file:

shike_marples_4-1669995581775.png

Oct 2022

shike_marples_0-1669995494695.pngshike_marples_1-1669995499563.png

Nov 2022

shike_marples_2-1669995516497.png

shike_marples_3-1669995521400.png

zoberender
Frequent Visitor

I am running into the same issue.  Specifically, I am using SharePoint.Contents to access the SharePoint site.  Using the SharePoint.Contents method, I get the same error as @shike_marples.  

If I use the SharePoint.Files method, I can still connect to the files and combine them.  This method require many steps of filtering to find the "right" files.  It is also a huge drag on processing as there are thousands of files across the entire SharePoint site.  

zoberender_0-1670360063451.png

zoberender_2-1670360149463.png

The files are clearly Excel Files but the Combine function does not work.  If I click on Binary, where it would normally pull in the Excel and sho the different Tables/Sheets, it doesn't.  It shows the below.  

zoberender_3-1670360265843.png