Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop November 2022 Issue - Cannot combine files from SharePoint folder

My Power BI Desktop updated to the November 2022 version and I am no longer able to connect to a SharePoint folder and combine Excel (xlsx) files. The error returned is "We didn't recognize the format of your first file". I have unstalled the Nov 2022 version and went back to Oct 2022 version and it is working.

Hi @shike_marples ,

Can't repro your problem.In my testing, I can connect to a sharepoint folder and combine excel file.

How do you combine ? And what's the format of your first file?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @shike_marples ,

Can't repro your problem.In my testing, I can connect to a sharepoint folder and combine excel file.

How do you combine ? And what's the format of your first file?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

mkazy_PGS
Regular Visitor

I am also experiencing the same issue that @shike_marples is reporting after the November update. 

SharePoint folder is the target with .xlsx files in the folder (only) and when attempting to Combine, I receive the same error that was outlined above. 

shike_marples
Advocate I

Hello @v-mengzhu-msft 

Here is my testing results when using the Oct 2022 version and Nov 2022 version. Same SharePoint site, same file:

shike_marples_4-1669995581775.png

Oct 2022

shike_marples_0-1669995494695.pngshike_marples_1-1669995499563.png

Nov 2022

shike_marples_2-1669995516497.png

shike_marples_3-1669995521400.png

zoberender
Frequent Visitor

I am running into the same issue.  Specifically, I am using SharePoint.Contents to access the SharePoint site.  Using the SharePoint.Contents method, I get the same error as @shike_marples.  

If I use the SharePoint.Files method, I can still connect to the files and combine them.  This method require many steps of filtering to find the "right" files.  It is also a huge drag on processing as there are thousands of files across the entire SharePoint site.  

zoberender_0-1670360063451.png

zoberender_2-1670360149463.png

The files are clearly Excel Files but the Combine function does not work.  If I click on Binary, where it would normally pull in the Excel and sho the different Tables/Sheets, it doesn't.  It shows the below.  

zoberender_3-1670360265843.png

mkazy_PGS
Regular Visitor

@shike_marples or @zoberender  - Were either of you able to get this issue resolved? I ended up having to revert to the October '22 version in order to build my combine while using sharepoint.contents . Not sure if this was resolved by any of the later updates or not. I haven't seen anything mentioning it in the release notes. 

shike_marples
Advocate I

@mkazy_PGS - No. I did the same and reverted back to Oct 2022 version. For new development, I have switched to using sharpoint.files instead of sharepoint.contents

mkazy_PGS
Regular Visitor

@shike_marples  - Thanks for your update. 

@v-mengzhu-msft  - Do you have any update on this issue or is there any other information you need to help troubleshoot this? The functionality was outlined in detail in the responses above. This process worked without issue in the October '22 version of PBI Desktop, but stopped functioning in the November '22 release. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. 

YuHash
Frequent Visitor

The same issue started happening to me as well after November 22 release. It's been working fine on the previous version and now it stopped functioning. Would appreciate MS fix this problem.