Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop Model View - moved tables jumps back to default position

Power BI Desktop Version: 2.110.1161.0 64-bit (oktober 2022)

Hi,

Recently I have noticed that tables that I have placed in the desired schematic order in the Model View is jumping back to the far right corner, i.e. the spot the table appears on creation.

This makes Power BI Desktop Model View at the moment, already lacking the possibility to select and move multiple tables via "lassoing" etc., a very time consuming and annoying experience.

• Data models needs tables to stay where they are moved, especially complex data models, that otherwise tends to get rather wide...
  • Lasso selection of multiple tables in Model View, and allowing to move multiple tables in one "grab", is very much needed

Best Regards,

Mrtnkbg

Hi @Mrtnkbg ,

I have found users with similar needs to you here Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com), you may vote the idea and comment  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Mrtnkbg ,

I have found users with similar needs to you here Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com), you may vote the idea and comment  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Mrtnkbg
Helper I

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft ,

Thank you for the feedback!

I am already one of the three voters for this specific Idea 🙂 and I have also tweeted about the Idea in order to try to get attention to it.

Let's hope this gets some attention. I think it really is such a basic function it should already be in place.

I appreciate your effort to highlight already submitted ideas!

Best regards,

Martin K.

Pat_msft
Employee

Tables that are moved should remain in the location you have moved them to. If you still face issues with this, please let us know what your steps are to reproduce the issue.

We currently support dragging multiple tables, but you must select by using Ctrl+Click, Shift+Click, or Ctrl+A (followed by Ctrl+Click to unselect some). You can tab between tables and use Ctrl+Space to achieve this as well.

Power user option: Select multiple tables using Ctrl or Shift clicking in the field list, this also selects them in the diagram, and then you can move them all at the same time.

Mrtnkbg
Helper I

Hi @Pat_msft 

Thank you for the information on available options for selecting tables, I'll have a look at it next time I focus at model structuring.

However, I still think that the lasso method really should be added at some point.

I'll keep an eye at the table positioning behaviour, knowing that the tables really should remain where they are put.