Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop February 2023 DPI Scaling Problem

Since updating to this month's new Power BI Desktop release, the UI appears to be using my secondary display's DPI scaling upon launching a pbix file. The UI is blurry and zoomed in until I resize the window. Additionally, I'm unable to see the full dialog window of Get Data. It's zoomed in and I can't resize to see the OK and Cancel buttons. The only fix for that I've seen is to move Power BI Desktop to my secondary display temporarily.

Hi @GarettWP 

This issue has been fixed in latest version . Please update your PBI Desktop to latest one .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
chemanfit
Regular Visitor

I noticed they pushed a new version out and that did not fix it immediately. I was looking at some of the other posts people have put up and someone posted the following that works for me on my laptop, haven't tested on personal desktop yet though.

" I was also experiencing this issue with the conditional formatting and found a temporary fix that changed the scaling for me. I uninstalled PowerBI from the Microsoft Store and installed the .exe version of it, went to the file location, opened properties for PBIDesktop.exe, went to compatibility, and changed high DPI settings from application to system. It fixed it for me.

chemanfit_0-1677248293054.png"

victorar
Employee

We've just pushed Feb 2023 update 2.114.803.0 with some DPI scaling fixes. Please download/install the latest and let us know... 

If you still experience DPI scaling issues after update.... Try to change your Main/default monitor in the Settings > Display, Select a screen and check [x] Make this my main screen

And yes, please reply to the thread with additional info re configuration when you see the DPI scaling issues: Settings > Display config  <screenshot of screen layout>
For example my config is:
1. Left screen - Laptop: 1920x1080, 100% scaling (Main/Default)
2. Right screen - Monitor: 3840x2160, 150% scaling
Are you using the Remote desktop?

Also let us know your repro steps - something like this:
1. Open PowerBIDesktop on Screen 1 (Left).
2. Go to View > Custom themes and open the Custom themes dialog on Screen 1 (Left).
3. The dialog looks clipped <screenshot>
4. Close the dialog and reopen it...
5. Dialog still looks clipped...

Thanks!

leongjs
Regular Visitor

The latest version from microsoft store and download center is 2.114.864.0 and still is "broke".  I'm only using one display on my Surface Pro laptop and it is for the most part unusable.  So, for me, it makes no difference what display because I'm only using one.  The resolution of my lone display is 2256 x 1504 150% recommended scaling.

nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer

Hi @victorar .  As of Feb 24, 2023 @  10:28 PM UTC , Power BI Desktop DPI scaling is not fixed and it appears you are under the impression that 2.114.803.0 build is the most current one. Don't act surprsed but the lastest build is 2.114.864.0 and my guess is that whoever committed and pushed the patch # 864 overwritten the display fix patch in #803.  Is your DevOps guy on vaction ? 😀

nickchobotar_0-1677277914816.png

victorar
Employee

So it sounds like some of the issues still show up in the latest Feb release build...

- Do you use Remote Desktop?

- Does the clipping happen first time you pop the dialog or when you open it again?

...It would really help if you give us more info so we can repro the specific issue you are facing...

nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer

Hi@victorar  Here are the answers to your questions marked in red:

- Do you use Remote Desktop?

No. I am NOT using a remote desktop. I am using PBI on my PC (W11, ). 

- Does the clipping happen first time you pop the dialog or when you open it again?
It keeps happening every time. The bug  is persistent and does not go away. 

Thanks,
N-

LostHighway72
Frequent Visitor

Is there any update on this issue.  I am having the same problems and it is making the desktop app unusable.

I have tried re-installing but as previously mentioned the issue still seems to be occuring with the latest build.

victorar
Employee

We are working on the fix. Meanwhile you can try disabling the Multimonitor DPI by setting
System / Environment variables / User vairables / Add 

PBI_PerMonitorDpiAware = 0

victorar_0-1677519010176.png

And then restart the Power BI Desktop

LostHighway72
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that, however I am clearly missing that folder is on my client laptop.  I have searched for and had no luck.  Please could you be more specific.

Is this likely to fixed in the March update, as this is quite annoying.

victorar
Employee

1. Type "Environment" in the Windows Search bar and it should show "Edit system environment variables".

victorar_0-1677708489117.png

2. Open the dialog and click on [Environment Variables] button... Then in the Environment variables dialog click on the [New...] button in the User variables section and enter
Variable name: PBI_PerMonitorDpiAware
Variable value: 0

3. Apply & close all the Environment variables dialog 

Alternatevely, go to Windows Settings > Accessibility > Text size and reset the Text size to 100% 

victorar_1-1677709173933.png

Either way after setting the Environment variable or Text size settings you'll need to restart the PowerBIDesktop application