Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop: Count summarization in a table visualization does not count null items

How to replicate:

1. This was tested on Version: 2.88.1144.0 64-bit (December 2020)
  2. New Power BI desktop report
  3. Enter data:

4. edit: After entering the data you should see two steps, the Source step that input the data, and a Change type step that transforms the type of the column from "text" to "Int64". This is both necessary for my needs and for showing the problem below.
  5. Create a Table visualization, drag Column 1 into Values for the Table
  6. Drop down Column 1 and Don't Summarize. Drop down again and click Show item's with no data
  7. Drag Column 1 into Values for Table a second time. Change second Column 1 summarization to "Count". You see this:
    1. Column 1Count of Column 1

Total

The count works for the non-null values but is empty for the null values.

Comments
Icey
Community Support

Hi @EvelynBI ,

This is by design. The COUNT function counts the number of cells in a column that contain non-blank values. So, the 4 blank cells won't be count.  

Try to use COUNTROWS function. It will give you what you want.

countrows.JPG

Best Regards,

Icey

EvelynBI
Frequent Visitor

@Icey  Thank you for the help and showing this isn't a bug. Using the drop down measures would reduce my workload but since those default measures don't work well with nulls I will create measures that uses countrows.