Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Dataset Refresh is not happening

Hello Power BI team,

I designed a power BI report 3 months ago and scheduled its autorefresh so that report data can be refresh time to time, It was running perfectly but unfortunetly Dataset refresh is not happening and i am getting below issue :-

Last refresh failed: Thu Mar 18 2021 09:36:52 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support

As i come to know that this type of  issue resolved automatically, but this is not happening with me and our report dataset refresh issue is still going on. To overcome this problem i changed the Report Owner, reset the password but still same issue is occurring.

Kindly guide me how can i resolve this issue. 

Comments
ninast_
Advocate I

I am struggling with the same issue since yesterday. The report refresh keeps Timing out and the error message afterwards is the same as the one you mentioned. 

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @vikasjcs32 

According to my experience, this is a common and difficult problem in data refresh. It's hard to figure out the original reason for this problem. It's also a known issue in ICM.

You can follow these steps:

1 - Open the report in PBI Desktop and clear the cache (file...options and settings... options)

2 - Refresh the data on the desktop and save it.

3 - Open PBI Online and remove the associated dataset(s). Note - you'll need to remove the reports from any content packs before you can remove the reports and data from the online service. Also, you might want to make a note of the (failed) refresh schedule you had before doing this so you can recreate it exactly.

4 - Go back to PBI Desktop and publish the report from PBI Desktop to Online

5 - Go back to PBI Online and set the refresh schedule back up

6 – Check if the scheduled and manual refresh can work normally.

You should also upgrade the gateway to the latest version.

Hope that can help you to solve this problem.

Troubleshooting refresh scenarios

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-robertq-msft 

This is mentioned in another ongoing thread. The problem with your solution is that many of us have multiple reports tied to a model that we would have to rebuild. That makes this a non-starter for us. According to another support member, planned maintainence can cause this issue. Perhaps @v-chuncz-msft would be able to tell us if that is the case here as the issue is still impacting my company. 

Here is a link to the original thread I started on this if @ninast_ or @vikasjcs32  would like to add a vote to it:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/refresh-failures/idi-p/1690004

ninast_
Advocate I

@kcantor thank you! I voted for the other ticket 🙂 
FYI: for our case it seems like it was some kind of breakdown because everything is working properly now 

kcantor
Community Champion

@ninast_ With most of us, it is hit and miss. I can go a week at a time and it will start again. May be the servers are getting bogged down. Perhaps more servers are needed. Just need for them to provide some additional information to help us out. 

aleax001
Regular Visitor

The same problem. PBI Desktop publishes successfully, but metadata is not updated in BI Services. OneDrive update does not pick up the changes. Last time OneDrive update was active 17.03, right after AD Azure issue.

thanks

Alexey.