Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI/DAX and SSAS Multidimension are working together not respecting MembersWithData

This not a bug in the Hierarchy Slicer but in Power BI , see the following information from Jan Pieter Posthuma the author of the slicer.  The MDX / Dax / Power BI is repeating the parent member in the child level below. 

This issue and it is not related to the HierarchySlicer, but how Power BI/DAX and SSAS Multidimension are working together.Somehow the MembersWithData set to NonLeafDataVisible (see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/parent-child-dimensio...)

is not respected and the child level is returned to Power BI.

It is related to PowerBI/DAX and SSAS MD. You may reference Jan Pieter Posthuma if more information is needed.

If we look at the following Parent-Child hierarchy in AdventureWorks you see that Brian is only visible  at level 03:

SSMS Adventure works hierarchy.jpg

But if we retrieve the same hierarchy in Power BI with the HierarchySlicer and the OOB table we see that Brian is returned twice, level 03 and level 04.

PowerBI Adventure works Hierarchy.jpg

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @inayatkhan,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 71613237.  Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @inayatkhan,

This is a useful feature, called data member, of the multi-dimensional model. See the Data Members section of webpage https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/parent-child-dimensio....

Please change this setting on SSAS side:

q1.png

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

inayatkhan
Frequent Visitor

Hi Quiyun Yu,

Thanks the setting was already set to NonLeafDataHidden but this made no difference to the behaviour of the data returned to the hierarchy slicer.  Parent member is still repeated on the child level

Regards

Inayat Khan

ahmadnakib
Regular Visitor
Do we know if there is an update on this bug? Or any work-around?
stb88

Hi, I am also having the exact same issue. Is there any update to this (CRI 71613237)

I've already set the NonDataLeafHidden for MembersWithData, however, the parent node is still repeated inside the child node when using the HierarchySlicer visual. In Excel, is fine.

Much appreciated if you could provide an update ASAP. Thank you.