Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Consistent Refresh failure

I recently upgraded to Power BI Premium so that I could update a report more frequently and set it up on a schedule to update every 30 minutes during the work day. It worked great for a few weeks. However, now it fails the refresh every time. I did not add any new sources to the dataset or anything like that, just one day, it stopped working. 

Now the really odd part is that i can still go into Power BI Desktop and update the report there. It updates in a few seconds and I can republish it to same workspace to overwrite the old one and get the update. Of course this requires me doing so manually every time I want to update, which is a huge waste of time and the money I am paying for Power BI Premium.

below is the error I am getting, it says that it will be transient, but it has been happening every time for about a week now.

7__0-1660146616970.png

Any Idea what would cause this report that was working to suddenly stop updating even though it still works fine in the desktop?

Hi @7_ 

As you mentioned you cut out some of the fields that you only use for one visual so that you could slim down the query . But with the growing data in dataset , this situation may be encountered later . 

Based on the above information , my suggestion is that next time you encounter this situation, you can open a Support ticket. The limitation of the forum is that we can't trace your log, but this problem can be solved by open support ticket .

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
AilsaTaoYe
Regular Visitor

Hi @7_ 

The data you refreshed is dataset or dataflow ? Can you refresh your data in Service manually ? If you can refresh your data manually and successfully , the problem maybe in scheduled refresh configuration , you need change the scheduled refresh settings . If you cannot successfully refresh data manually , you need pay attention to your gateway and data source configuration in Service .

7_
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @AilsaTaoYe,

The data is in a dataset and It is not succedding in a manual refresh through Service either. The Manual refresh only works through the Desktop App. I will take a look at the gateway and data source configuration in Service and how they differ from the Desktop version. 

AilsaTaoYe
Regular Visitor

Hi @7_ 

Fine . If you still have a question about refreshing data , you can update here . 

7_
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @AilsaTaoYe 

It has stopped working updating on the desktop version too. I have tried to update it thorugh the desktop app a few times now and it has crashed my laptop causing it to automatically restart multiple times. I tried refershing the sources one at a time and I identified which one is failing because the other ones all worked fine on their own. However, the one that is failing is from the exact same source as another one that is still working. I may just have to call that report shot and rebuild it from the ground up.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @7_ 

Has your issue been fixed after rebuilding it from the ground up ?

Best Regards,

7_
Frequent Visitor

Yes @v-yetao1-msft,

I had to cut out some of the fields that I only use for one visual so that I could slim down the query. So, I was not able to get back 100% of what I had before. I only took the most neccesary fields. However, I did get it to start working again after making a new report with the same data sources filtering out as many fields as possible. I was able to get the new report to update without crashing everything consistently. However, this is a dataset that grows in records daily. So, I am expecting that it will fail again when I get too many records. At that point, I do not know what I will do.

danielmorais
Frequent Visitor

The same thing is happening with me since 5th august.

In my case is a small dataset with two API connections, I never got this type of error.

A few days ago I could refresh my dataset from Power BI Desktot but recently I can't, my notebook was restarted a couple of times because memory problems.

I tried take out some columns but my dataset is really small, the automatic refresh before this problem was really fast.

Someone help me!!!

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @7_ 

What is your data source ? 

Best Regards,

7_
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft I am using a web connector to the backend of our ticketing system.

@danielmorais That is about the same time mine started failing. After that Power BI started acting up quite a bit actually.

danielmorais
Frequent Visitor

@7_

I managed to solve the problem by changing the way to get the data.

I was using the function Xml.Tables to get data from the API, instead Xml.Tables, I used the function to get data in JSON format in Power Query.

After that I've republished my report.

My dataset was updated with no problems in Power BI Desktop and Service.