Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Alert from Dashboard is ignoring RLS

Hello - we have a dataset using Row Level Security based on Userprincipalname.  We then set up a Dashboard with a tile and have instructed users in how they can set up their own alerts.  The Alert they are setting is designed to email them when the value of the tile is greater than 0. 

The problem is that users are getting Alerts and Email notifications when the "global" amount is greater than 0, even if their own row totals are still 0.  For example, if my RLS limit leaves my tile showing (Blank), I will still get an alert with the full dataset value, but when I log into the report, it shows (Blank) as my total.  

Hi @jpreciado ,

If a user sets an alert on the dashboard for RLS, he will only receive the filtered data. However, if a user with access to all data sets an alert and sends an email to someone else, this email will include the current value and will not be filtered because it was set by a user with access to all data.
So you need to check the user's permission to access the data.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @jpreciado ,

If a user sets an alert on the dashboard for RLS, he will only receive the filtered data. However, if a user with access to all data sets an alert and sends an email to someone else, this email will include the current value and will not be filtered because it was set by a user with access to all data.
So you need to check the user's permission to access the data.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

jpreciado
Regular Visitor

Hi Caitlyn - we tested this with a user and that user is still getting notifications even when they cant see the data.  For example, the user below is "joetest" and we logged in as that user, set an alert up on the report so that joetest gets a notifcation when Open Order Revenue is > 0.  He recieved a notification showig 2.6M, but he has no open order revenue.  When we clicked on the notification as "joetest" he then sees $0 Open Order Revenue in the report.  

This means that RLS is working and the report is accurate, but the notification should not have been generated.  I'm stumped as to how this can be happening. 

msedge_8MMRs7l2UV.pngmsedge_wGKkyN09jE.png