Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Admin API - Users GetUserArtifactAccessAsAdmin Insufficient Documentation

I am trying to looking Admin APIS

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/users-get-user-artifact-access-as-admin

This API asks for 

userGraphId

And 

continuationToken

But nowhere does it give you any information on how to get this information. No one has been able to provide answers on the forum. I think the documentation needs to be updated to explain exactly how and what these two things are. I can't use it based on the information given which is really dissapointing

Hi @DebbieE 

userGraphId is something used to identify the user you would like to check permisssions. You can get an user's id(object id)   by checking the profile of this user in Azure portal and then replace {userGraphId} in the API with it. 

vcazhengmsft_0-1635225926242.png

If this API runs successfully and there are still some results you can retrieve, you will receive continuationToken in the response. Then you can use it to get the rest of the results. For more details about its usage, you can refer to How to use the ContinuationToken - Microsoft Q&A.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun Zheng

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @DebbieE 

userGraphId is something used to identify the user you would like to check permisssions. You can get an user's id(object id)   by checking the profile of this user in Azure portal and then replace {userGraphId} in the API with it. 

vcazhengmsft_0-1635225926242.png

If this API runs successfully and there are still some results you can retrieve, you will receive continuationToken in the response. Then you can use it to get the rest of the results. For more details about its usage, you can refer to How to use the ContinuationToken - Microsoft Q&A.

Best Regards,

DebbieE
Community Champion

"userGraphId is something used to identify the user you would like to check permisssions. You can get an user's id(object id)   by checking the profile of this user in Azure portal and then replace {userGraphId} in the API with it. "

So I have gone to azure AD and got the Object ID of a user and run in the API (I am an admin) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/users-get-user-artifact-access-as-admin#cod... and get

"message": "An error has occurred."

So this hasnt worked. 

It would be so useful in the documentation to properly explain how to get these details. Also your image is really small and I can't see anything in it to help me.

as it stands I tried the users object ID as the Power BI Admin and it hasnt worked

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

@DebbieE 

Currently, we haven’t found a document to explain these two parameters in details. Did you get the object id by these steps?

1 Sign in to Azure portal with you admin accountàGo to Azure Direct DirectoryàGo to Users tabàfind the user you need to do test

vcazhengmsft_0-1635242331850.png

2 Click on this user and find object of this user in Identify section

vcazhengmsft_1-1635242331852.png

After getting this object Id, please sign in with your admin account in this link Admin - Users GetUserArtifactAccessAsAdmin - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs and input userGraphId with the user object Id you got from Azure portal, then try to run it again:

vcazhengmsft_2-1635242331864.png

If you still can’t run it successfully, could you please take a screenshot with the errors including Headers and Body part you got in API response?

Best Regards,

DebbieE
Community Champion

Hi, 

Yes I used everything above and Im testing against my own Object ID for the time being. Here are the screen shots

RESTAPIPart1.JPG

RESTAPIPart2.JPG

Im Power BI administrator if that helps. I don't know if I need anything else to get past this message?

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

@DebbieE 

All the requirements of running this API has listed in the document as you can see. Please try again. If you have met all these items but still can't run it successfully, please reach out to our support ticket by this link for help. 

Best Regards,

DebbieE
Community Champion

I will create a support ticket as its not working but the issue does still stand that I feel the documentation needs updating with more information. For example that UserGraphID is the ObjectID. 

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

@DebbieE 

Yeah, I understand. The documentation on this point is really not clear enough, but document maintenance is relatively slow, so  you may experience a long time to see the update of the document. 

Best Regards,

Di77
Frequent Visitor

@DebbieE  Try providing your org email address instead.