Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pivot table using Python facing issue - Index variables are not visible

I tried to pivot a table with aggregate function sum in python. After running python script in power bi I am not able to see index columns which i used to group by. But if I am trying to execute this code in python it's working perfectly by displaying index columns.

Here below my code;

import pandas as pd

pivotset = dataset.pivot_table(index=['movieID','user'], values=['Rating'], aggfunc='sum')

print(pivotset)

Result in Python is:

movieID user             Rating
1             Ali                5
               Ganesh         5
              Jayaram         2
              Kevin             1
              Mithun          3
              Musthafa       3
              Shafi              4
2            Jack               5
              Sasi               4
              Suresh 3

But if I am trying to do same in power bi the index variables are not displaying. Please help to find this.

Rating

The input dataset csv is below

movieID,user,Rating
1,Ganesh,5
1,Mithun,3
2,Sasi,4
1,Musthafa,3
2,Suresh,3
1,Shafi,4
1,Kevin,1
2,Jack,5
1,Jayaram,2
1,Ali,5

Please help me to find why the index variables are disappearing in power bi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Based on my test, I'm afraid power bi doesn't support index columns in pandas table. As a workaround, you can achieve the same result by using "Pivot" and "Unpivot" in power query.

Firstly click "movieID" and "user" column, click transform-> Pivot Columns, select "Rating" as value, sum as  aggregation, you will achieve table like below:

1.PNG 

Secondly, click on column "1" and "2" then click "Unpivot Columns":

2.PNG 

After reordering the columns and renaming the column headers, you will achieve the result:

3.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Jimmy for the fast response and clarified answer. I will try the same then. 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Based on my test, I'm afraid power bi doesn't support index columns in pandas table. As a workaround, you can achieve the same result by using "Pivot" and "Unpivot" in power query.

Firstly click "movieID" and "user" column, click transform-> Pivot Columns, select "Rating" as value, sum as  aggregation, you will achieve table like below:

1.PNG 

Secondly, click on column "1" and "2" then click "Unpivot Columns":

2.PNG 

After reordering the columns and renaming the column headers, you will achieve the result:

3.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.