Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Personal Gateway fails t associate to postgres data sources

This was working for several months, but within the last couple of weeks I am unable to configure my personal gateway for my postgres data sources.

The Gateway connection setting under the published postgres-sourced data set indicates "You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanceed control over how you connect."  The database is a local on-site postgres data source.

If I simply try to edit the credentials anyway, the effort fails with the message: 

Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.

For projects with other data source types, the gateway works just fine.

Here is a synopsis of my trouble-shooting effort:

1. Uninstalled personal gateway, ensured installation folder is gone, reinstalled

2. Installed gateway on a different server (server 2012, original was 2019)

3. Installed wireshark on all servers gateway and postgres server

• postgres server gets no traffic with credential attempt
  • for postgres data type projects, I'm unable to find any port traffic with credential attempt
  • for other data types (SQL server, Salesforce), no issues

4. Updated npgsql, gateway, and postgres to most current stable versions

5. Removed npgsql and installed latest gateway from scratch (apparently gateway includes its own npgsql natively now?)

6. I saw this in the below error in the gatewayerrorsxxxx.00000000.log

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

gatewayerrorsxxxx.00000000.log:

GatewayPipelineErrorCode=DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_SignatureNotMatchCredentialError
GatewayVersion= --->
Inner exception chain: System.FormatException
<pi>System.FormatException: InvalidCredentialFormat - Signature does not match
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.SymmetricCredential.SymmetricKeyEncryptionHelper.Decrypt(SymmetricKeyEncryptedResultDataContract encryptedData, SymmetricKeyContractBase key)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.CredentialUtils.DecryptSymmetricKey(SymmetricKeyEncryptedResultDataContract encryptedData, SymmetricKeyContractBase key, SymmetricKeyContractBase legacyKey)</pi>
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
([0]Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.InvalidCredentialDueToSignatureNotMatchException.StackTrace:)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.CredentialUtils.DecryptSymmetricKey(SymmetricKeyEncryptedResultDataContract encryptedData, SymmetricKeyContractBase key, SymmetricKeyContractBase legacyKey)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.CredentialUtils.DecryptCredential(CredentialDetails credentialDetails, IGatewayCredentialStore credentialStore)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.DbConnectionProviderBase.DecryptCredential(CredentialDetails credentialDetails)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.SqlDbConnectionProvider.<OpenConnectionAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.SqlDbConnectionProvider.<TestConnectionAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
etc.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@jayDoggyDog ,

I would suggest you create a support ticket here for further analysis.

Support Ticket.gif 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

jayDoggyDog
Regular Visitor

OK, thanks, I kind of thought that's what I was doing, but I guess not!