Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Permission denied to access report and set data for guest users with last update (April 2019)

Hello everybody,

Since 3 days the access to all my Reports for my guest users doesn't work (probably since the last update of April of PowerBI Desktop).

When the guests try to access all the Reports that i shared with them, appears the popup that says "you have not the permission to access the Data Set, contact the administrator".

I can't understand why it doesn't work. it always worked until three days ago.

In my administration panel i can see that my guest users still have the "Read" permission both for the report and the dataset.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I hope that will be fixed soon,

kind regards,

Lorenzo

Comments
Joe
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am getting the same issue on and off with external users  and it gets resolved after an hour or so. Not sure what is going on. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @lorenzolancio

It requires edit permission to access the Power BI datasets in Power BI desktop. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets#limitations-and-consider...

• Read-only members of a workspace cannot connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu