Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Parameterized Live Connection

Start with a brand new Power BI file, make sure the option "Always Allow Parameterization" is on.

Get Data, Analysis Services, Live Connection. Create a New Parameter for the servername and make sure it has valid values.

Hit enter and then Boom: Error!

Unable to connect: The Connect live option for this file is disabled because it already contains data from another data source. You cannot explore live data and connect to another type of data source in the same file. Create a new file to explore live data.

I love the idea of parameterized connections, but it seems not to work for live connections.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @FransvanderGeer

I have sent a email to consult this issue internally, will update here once I get information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @FransvanderGeer,

I confirmed from PG team, this is a limitation currently. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Piquet65
Frequent Visitor

G'day @FransvanderGeer & thanks for your community support. 

>>> ...I confirmed from PG team, this is a limitation currently. 

I know this post is old but I've not been able to Bing any progress/updates on resolving this limitation.

Does anyone have an update / details on this now being available (or if not, then when/if)?

Why is it important?

Progressing a Power BI report through various environments (Dev, Test, UAT, Production) currently requires editing the PBIX report to modify the Live Connection details to be appropriate for the target environment - being able to parameterize this provides significant benefits in this type of scenario (I am currently working with Power BI Report Server).

PK