Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Parameter renaming prevents use of the properties tab on the Model page when you click on a column

Hello, 

I have renamed a parameter that was bound to a column in a dimension, and now I cannot use the Properties pane on the Model tab unless I go back to Power Query and rename the parameter. 

This is for any column in any dimension, not just the column the parameter was bound to. 

I believe this is a bug with the UI.

Mark

Hi @mark_endicott ,

Did you create the parameter in the power query and apply it to a column?
I can understand what you mean about the properties function in the model tab, but I'm curious where you renaming the parameter values?

If it is convenient, you can also show your steps in detail by some screenshots of the steps, etc. so that I can do a better reproduction of the problem.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @mark_endicott ,

Did you create the parameter in the power query and apply it to a column?
I can understand what you mean about the properties function in the model tab, but I'm curious where you renaming the parameter values?

If it is convenient, you can also show your steps in detail by some screenshots of the steps, etc. so that I can do a better reproduction of the problem.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

mark_endicott
Helper II

@v-mengzhu-msft - Yes I created the parameter in the power query and applied it to a column.

Exact steps are below:

1) Create parameter in Power Query

2) Close and apply

3) Bind parameter to column on Model tab

4) Open Power Query to delete or rename the parameter (I have done both and found the same error)

5) Close and apply

6) Close desktop file

7) Reopen desktop file

8 ) Navigate to model tab

9) Click on any column

10) Properties field only shows the Cards menu

I can correct this error and use the rest of the Properties tab by taking the following steps:

1) Navigate to power query

2) Rename the parameter or recreate with it's first name

3) Close (or close and apply - but I have found this to not be necessary)

4) Navigate to the model tab

5) Click on a column and the Properties field now shows the rest of the menu's. 

Please note, the parameter I am renaming is not bound to any columns now. But renaming it so that it does not match the name it had when it was first bound to the column creates the error still. 

I am happy to jump onto a teams call to show you this issue in action. 

Thanks, 

Mark

PBI_Helpline
Helper I

This seems to be similar to below scenario-
let's say we have a table and used this into our data model and authored few DAX measures using that, now if we change the table name from Power query, and add  a new table with previous table's previous name, which was used in measure, , then it may take the reference from old table with new name, instead of using the new table with the same name used in that Measure.

so even there is same name table is now available it may take reference from old table's  new name only.
But completly deleting the old table, and then adding a new table with old name will work fine.

mark_endicott
Helper II

@v-mengzhu-msft - I cannot really send full screenshots as it will take a long time to anonymise them, however I can show you the properties pane with the error (1st screenshot) and without (2nd). In both screenshots, I have the same column selected on the Fields pane, the only difference is that in the 2nd screenshot, I have renamed the parameter, in Power Query, but I have not applied the changes. 

Error:

mark_endicott_0-1664538539293.png

No Error:

mark_endicott_1-1664538604355.png

mark_endicott
Helper II

@v-mengzhu-msft - Please can you respond? This issue is hampering development of our model. 

mark_endicott
Helper II

@PBI_Helpline - in your situation are the fields for columns on the Properties pane hidden? If yes, this has to be a defect. I'd be grateful if you could vote for this issue to get it looked at. 

Thanks, 

Mark