Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paginated reports parameters : Blank() and empty values

Hello,

We are facing an issue in Paginated Reports v15.7.1740.0001 where an empty string value (not NULL, just empty) cannot be filtered on. The datasource is an AAS model we have migrated from OnPrem SSAS tabular model and OnPrem SSRS (where it works just fine).

In the main DataSet and parameter DataSet we have these results : 

FabienLhonneur_0-1638960572999.png      FabienLhonneur_1-1638960769855.png

But when we execute and test the report, empty value is just filtered and we can't get the line back. 

FabienLhonneur_2-1638961074127.png

On OnPrem Report there's no problem : 

FabienLhonneur_3-1638961305240.png

Has anyone faced this issue yet?

Thank you for you answers.

Hi @FabienLhonneur 

May I know whether you have selected All blank value and Allow null value for your parameter?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @FabienLhonneur 

May I know whether you have selected All blank value and Allow null value for your parameter?

Best Regards,

FabienLhonneur
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

Thank you for your time.

Blank values are allowed by default, and null values are not because it's a multi values parameter. I did the test with single value and null allowed, and nothing changed. I think I tried every combinations with/without null & blank. I also changed the parameter's values, switching it with the Caption for example.

To give some context, in our database this field can have a Region value (Europe, North America, etc.), or not when it's undetermined. When there's no value, the field is empty but not null because our data come from Business Central.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @FabienLhonneur 

Thanks for your reply. Please consider open a support ticket by following the steps in the blog below and then there will be a support engineer help you on troubleshoot this issue. 

Blog link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @FabienLhonneur 

May I know whether you have submitted a support ticket? Has our support engineer helped you solve your problem? If your issue has been resolved, could you please share the solution to help others who get the similar issue? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

FabienLhonneur
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

Unfortunately considering the end of year holidays, we have not been able to sumbit a support ticket yeat. As soon as we do it (I hope this week) and we have an answer I'll update this thread in order to help everybody.

Thank you again for your help.

FabienLhonneur
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

We've opened a case and we gave to our contact all the elements (database, model, report) in order to reproduce this bug.

We got an answer today : "I reproduced the issue with the given data from On-prem SSAS and from AAS as data source from the Power BI Report Builder and from the Power BI service.

We are checking with Product Group on the same and need to file it as a bug."

So it seems to be a real bug, which will need a patch or update.

FabienLhonneur
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

We've got news from our contact at Microsoft : "We have raised an ICM on this issue and our product team will work on this and let us know the update, and there will be no ETA on this as this is a bug in the tool, They will fix and let us know when this will get released."

So Power BI Report Builder should be updated as soon as possible.

GrayMarshUK
Frequent Visitor

Any feedback on whether this bug has been fixed?

FabienLhonneur
Frequent Visitor

Hi @GrayMarshUK ,

It's been almost fixed (not since long), let me explain. Now the empty values can be selected and is shown in the report, but you can't have all the values preselected like before if there's an empty value in your list.

For example if the parameter has 3 values : Canada, United-kingdom and Germany you can make it preselected in the parameter properties by selecting by default all the parameter dataset values. But if you have Canada, United-Kingdom and a third empty value, it won't work...

Now we have to modify every hidden DAX parameter dataset, that can have an empty value to make it work.

Funny enough, one workaround from Microsoft was to be sure we didn't have any empty value.

GrayMarshUK
Frequent Visitor

@FabienLhonneur 

Maybe the issue I am seeing is slightly different then.
I have a DAX based dataset which returns a set of values from a column that do include Blanks and if I run this in DAX Studio then I see the Blanks.

If I then use this as a source for a Paginated Report Parameter then the Blanks are not shown and Select All does not include Blanks and so I am missing data.

I am struggling to find a way around this as I cannot select Nulls for a Multi Value Parameter.