Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Paginated reports optional parameters turns in to mandatory parameters when report is published

Hi!

I have a paginated report that worked perfectly fine last Friday, both in PBI report builder and on the web. When I checked the distributed report yesterday the optional parameters had turned into mandatory ones. The same parameters are still optional in the report builder. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Report builder:

Report builder parameters.PNG

The parameters Add department nr and Add subclass nr are optional and I managed to run the report without adding any values in them, the rest of the parameters ar mandatory.

Web:

Web parameters.PNG

Obligatoriskt means mandatory in swedish. I can't run the report unless all fields are filled in.

Br,

Inas

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

How do you create optional parameters in Power BI report builder?

Can you run the report successfully without specify parameter values in Power BI report builder? 

Based on my test in Power BI report builder version 15.0.1380.0 , create a parameter without any Available Values or Default Values defined, when we run the report, if we don't enter any value in the parameter box, the error below will pop-out. 

w5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft !

I'm using Power BI Report Builder 15.0.1353.0.

The way I do it is that I create a parameter like below, leaving the options in the other tabs as default.

Parameter creation.PNG

Then I create a dataset for the parameter as per below, with an expression referring to the created parameter.

Dataset query.PNG

Dataset parameters.PNG

Finally I add to the table dataset query that it should consider empty values for the parameter.

Dataset table query.PNG

This works in the Power BI Report Builder where it selects all possible values when the parameter is left empty. It also wroked on the web before but now it turns in to a mandatory field on the web and it's not possible to turn that off. Or at least I've not been able to.

Thank you!

Br,

Inas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft !

Any news on this one?

Br,

Inas

bizwiz
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous 

Afraid not, you are not alone, Same issue experienced by few others following recent Service/Tenancy level updates. It impacted one region at a time and now almost all regions are experiencing this.

Follow the other post for details : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unable-to-render-paginated-reports-with-optional-blank/idc-p/1544027#M62980

Workaround, use a default value (eg %) for all optional params.