Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paginated report using Azure SQL as source via a data gateway - cant select a gateway

We are in the process of migrating an existing application on premise database to Azure and were intending to import existing SSRS reports as paginated reports in Power BI but have an issue connecting these to the database using a gateway. Our organisation security people have diasabled connections from Power BI service to Azure SQL databases which is why we will use a gateway.

We did a proof of concept using the on premise database and a gateway connection and this worked ok

i.e we imported the rdl file with the connection string set something like <ConnectString>Data Source=myonPrem\inst1.;Initial Catalog=db1</ConnectString> and were prompeted to select a gateway and this worked just fine.

However for the Azure SQL version:

We succesfully created a connection to the azure SQL instance in a gateway (on a vm running in Azure).

we imported the same rdl file as above but with the connection string: <ConnectString>Data Source=my-azure-db.database.windows.net.;Initial Catalog=my-db1</ConnectString>

After I import the file into my premium workspace I get prompted to enter credentials for a basic connection type when I was expecting to select the gateway that I wanted to use. Unfortunately because of our security the Power BI service will not have direct access to the database.

Can anyone help figuring out if this will work?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 129907254. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft 

We have also logged a Premium Support call <SR number :119062723000153 >.

In the call with support we were advised that they "understand the issue and that there is a gap". They were passing the ticket onto the next level of support to see if there was a work arround. I guess failing that if they would perhaps make a change to the service.

Regards

Tim

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please see the below information from PG team: 

this is by design currently.  but we are considering to add support for this scenario in the future. 

please post this scenario on https://ideas.powerbi.com

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu