Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paginated Report Do Not Render Subtotals Correctly with SSAS Tabular

Hello,  I'm attempting to use Report Builder connected to a SSAS Tabular Model and am having issues with subtotals not rendering correctly after uploading to a workspace.  Everything reders perfectly in the actual Report Builder software; however, the subtotals appear to show up in blank rows above the detail section of the report.  Note, I'm am aggregating using the Aggregate function in case that is a factor..  Is anyone aware of this issue?

Comments
v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

All data except for sub total is shown correctly after being published to Power BI Service, right? Clear the cache of web browser and refresh the report to see if it works. Besides, please check if other values calcuated by expression rather than dragged from initial dataset fields are displayed correctly in service.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

ironklad
Regular Visitor

I believe I am experiencing this same issue.  I am using Power BI Report Builder to build a paginated report with data sourced from an SSAS on-prem tabular model through a gateway.  I am specifically using MDX in order to utilize the "Aggregate()" aggregation in order for subtotal and grand total calculations to take place in the model so I can display correct % totals out of the model for example.  Note that if I aggregate with "Sum()" the report renders correctly online, this appears to be an issue specifically with "Aggregate()" and the Power BI Service incorrectly rendering aggregate subtotal and grand total rows.

Everything works as expected when viewing the report in Power BI Report Builder however once published to a Power BI Workspace online the online report renders with subtotal and grand total rows incorrectly.

I can replicate the incorrect online view locally in Power BI Report Builder by modifying my dataset's property "Dataset Properties > Options > Subtotals > Interpret subtotals as detail rows" and setting it to "True".  However if I set this value to "False" or "Auto" the local Power BI Report Builder report renders correctly, but when published to the workspace the online report acts as if this value were still set to "True".

From what I can tell I believe there are two underlying rendering issues when viewing the report online:

1. It appers that the Power BI Service is not respecting the dataset "Interpret subtotals as detail rows" value correctly when it is set to "Auto" or "False".  Because of this the MDX subtotal/grandtotal dataset detail rows that are supposed to be hidden are actually being rendered out as detail rows.
  2. The actual group subtotal/grand total rows are rendering online however all values are blank.  Essentially I just see rows with the text "Total" and no measure values on those rows.

Note:

• All "Detail" row data renders correctly, this issue specifically impacts group subtotal/grand total values.

I have included screenshots below of the local view and online view of the report.

• Example view in Power BI Report Builder locally:

Power BI Report BuilderPower BI Report Builder

• Example view on app.powerbi.com in workspace: 

app.powerbi.comapp.powerbi.com