Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paginated Report Builder Dates Passing to Power BI Dataset in Incorrect Format

Hi all,

I previously posted this in early May (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Paginated-Report-Builder-Dates-Passing-to-Power-BI-Dataset-i... and the issue resolved itself over the weekend with no intervention. It has since returned with what appears to coincide with the datamarts preview release. 

I am managing an estate of around 70+ paginated reports. All reports were working successfully up until yesterday. 

Originally noticed as reports were failing to load with the following error:

Unable to render paginated report

Query execution failed for dataset "Summary".

by cancelling the report load and changing the date to anything less than 12/12/2022 e.g. a date which can be a month or a day I noticed that it was failing due to the date being passed to the Power BI dataset in the wrong format
cjbowman69_0-1653644807082.png

Paginated report builder itself knows the format is correctly 3rd May but Power BI seems to think this is the 5 March.
Browser Date format is UK (tried in Edge and Chrome)

cjbowman69_1-1653644806965.png

In Report Builder I have specified the format for my parameter:

cjbowman69_2-1653644807144.png

and I have tried both with and without Language set in the report itself:

cjbowman69_3-1653644806965.png

As mentioned, this was working as expected until today. Some reports still work fine, others are failing. 

The date format in the Power BI dataset/model is dd/mm/yyyy too.

Power BI version:
cjbowman69_4-1653645019577.png

We have tried deleting and re-publishing the dataset with no difference. 

Please advise.

Hi @cjbowman69 ,

To ensure the correct data type is passed into the DAX query, replace the parameter value with the following expression, where <your_parameter_name> is the name of your parameter. The Format function returns a string formatted to a given condition, in this case it will be a date string in the format of dd-MM-yyyy.

=Format((Parameters!<your_parameter_name>.Value), "dd-MM-yyyy")

For more you may refer Using Date Pickers in Power BI Report Builder 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @cjbowman69 ,

To ensure the correct data type is passed into the DAX query, replace the parameter value with the following expression, where <your_parameter_name> is the name of your parameter. The Format function returns a string formatted to a given condition, in this case it will be a date string in the format of dd-MM-yyyy.

=Format((Parameters!<your_parameter_name>.Value), "dd-MM-yyyy")

For more you may refer Using Date Pickers in Power BI Report Builder 

Best Regards,

cjbowman69
Advocate I

Hi Caitlyn,

Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately this has not resolved the problem. 

Happy to set up a call to run through it if that is easier.

Kind regards,

Christian

cjbowman69
Advocate I

Hi Caitlyn,

Any chance for an update on this? 

Cheers,

Christian

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @cjbowman69 ,

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,