Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PDF Files as Data source - Error with pdf2text.dll

We have mutliple datasets in shared capacity workspaces on Power BI service. These datasets all started failing today with the following error:

jjoyce0425_0-1602275599464.png

I am able to refresh successfully in Power BI desktop.

Comments
mike_honey
Memorable Member

I'm striking exactly the same issue - first observed today.  This seems like an obvious mistake on the Power BI refresh servers - hope it can be rectified quickly.

Data source error: We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.;The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. Unexpected version of pdf2text.dll: expected version=20, found version=18.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 64b37fea-a9d8-4135-8fb5-559de0c17e71
Request ID: 6391883f-f475-421f-aeec-ca0116a6ad29
Time: 2020-10-11 13:39:12Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - I am experiencing the same issue.  I am able to refresh via the desktop, but scheduled refresh in the service is failing.  

Power BI PDF Error.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having the same issue as of Sunday Oct 11th 

Capture.PNG

sarava8304
Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue from 12-Oct-20 (IST) , could not find any soluton on this. Dataset refreshes fine in desktop file, but this failure is from PBI service. 

We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.;
The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception.
The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception.
Unexpected version of pdf2text.dll: expected version=20, found version=18..
The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here. Appears to be a PBI service wide issue...

jnn_0-1602560990913.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same error here.  Started happening some time during the weekend.  I can refresh fine on desktop, but erroring out online.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. Desktop works fine, but not online

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is clearly related to the online service with pdf sources.

I've modified my report, deleting all queries related to pdf, and now the dataset refresh OK.

I've opend a ticket to support, and I'm providing them with logs...

I  hope this get fix fast.

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I've also opened a support ticket. Anyone on this thread who is a Power BI Pro user or Admin, please open your own support tickets to raise the priority of this issue.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Look for "Still having issues?"

mike_honey
Memorable Member

If you have a twitter account, please add your comments on this thread:

https://twitter.com/MSPowerBI/status/1316375707166158849