Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PDF Files as Data source - Error with pdf2text.dll

We have mutliple datasets in shared capacity workspaces on Power BI service. These datasets all started failing today with the following error:

jjoyce0425_0-1602275599464.png

I am able to refresh successfully in Power BI desktop.

Comments
CWPRenewables
Frequent Visitor

Same Here:

Data source error:We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.;The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Pdf.IngestionEngines.Office.PdfParser' threw an exception. Unexpected version of pdf2text.dll: expected version=20, found version=18.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
Cluster URI:WABI-AUSTRALIA-SOUTHEAST-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:b63c2b73-e090-4faa-93d6-3392e59cc821
Request ID:42587e8b-666e-06d5-e472-00aa420aa744
Time:2020-10-15 13:45:30Z
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

HI  @jjoyce0425 

A similar issue has been reported: ICM 209406636. You may also create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

Regards,

Lin

jjoyce0425
Advocate III

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that I created a support ticket for this issue. I met with the support team on Wednesday to show the issue. They were able to reproduce it on their end so raised a bug to the product team. I have not heard any updates since then but am hoping to hear something soon.

Thank you.

nadavs
Regular Visitor

Same issue here. Really hope for a quick fix from Microsoft. 

risebt

any updates Microsoft?? Why is this still broken

jjoyce0425
Advocate III

Hi everyone - I followed up with the person assigned to my support ticket and included a link to this issue and a twitter thread which shows many users are having the same issue. All he said was the product team is investigating the error.

It is pretty disappointing that this has not been resolved yet as it seems obvious that it is some issue with their servers; it also has not been listed on the support site under the awareness section so I do not even know for sure if it is on the product team's radar. 

StephenF
Responsive Resident

Subbed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I submitted a support ticket as well and met with a Support Engineer from Mindtree.  We were unable to resolve the issue.  Mindtree has followed up twice to let me know that there are no updates.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to an engineer @ microsoft last week about this and he said it should be fixed Nov 27th.

They gave me two workarounds:

1. Refresh using Power BI Desktop and then upload the file.
  2. Use a Power BI gateway.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've also spoke with support Team:

"Our product team is actively working on your issue it will be fixed by end of third week of November.
As an alternate solution you can refresh that report in Power BI Desktop and you can publish to power bi service."

I'm using a gateaway and have this error, so it doesn't look like its working.