Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PDF Export with huge white margins

It seems that since the December update the "Export to PDF" is buggy and the actual report area is surrounded by white margins on all sides.

page size (for all pages): 16:9

Fit to size activated for all pages

filter pane minimized

Usual Export routine to DIN A4 sized pages

Has anyone experienced this or knows of a fix?

Update:

Currently it has been confirmed a known issue and will be fixed in the upcoming February release of Power BI Desktop.

You can try to turn off the preview feature "Power BI Infrastructure Update" in the options dialog to check it again.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
patoespinosa01

I have the same issue. I have a Dashboard that monthly export with a lot of data to pdf. This month it crashes. My page size (for all pages): 4:3

Fit to size activated for all pages

filter pane minimized

Usual Export routine to Letter sized pages

Please I need to solve ASAP!!!!

Help

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

When I tried to export to PDF from Power BI Desktop, it works fine.

vyingjl_0-1640141592910.pngvyingjl_1-1640141610864.png

Please try to update Power BI Desktop to the latest version(December 2021 2.100.785.0) which has been released yesterday to check it again.

Best Regards,

Momme
Advocate I

@v-yingjl I guess the print-area issue only becomes apparent when you use a colored background or fill your page with visuals from end to end.

I have now the November version (works) and December (doesnt work) on my machine.

Previous versions can be downloaded for a quick fix:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

patoespinosa01

Thanks a lot for your help. The issue is only in the PowerBI service. Desktop works fine. And yesterday found a workaround. The issue occurs only when I have a Image in Background  set a "Fit" in Image Fit property. When I changed to Fill, it works, but the Dashboard was working very well all the year with this configuration. Looks like something change this month in the service.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM: 279448065), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progressa bout this issue.

Best Regards,

IanL

We are experiencing the same issue on PowerBI desktop after the December update. Reports that used to Export to PDF just fine, with minimal margins, are now exporting with huge margins in the PDF.

Trying the various suggestions in this thread (adjusting the page view, closing filters/visualizations panes, setting background images to "fill" instead of "fit") have had no success for us. 

It would be ideal, if possible, while this bug is being addressed, if there were a setting pane somewhere where we could explicitly set margins for the PDF export. 

Hoping for a quick fix -- thanks!

Typical, narrow, consistent margin on PDF, before Dec. 2021 updateTypical, narrow, consistent margin on PDF, before Dec. 2021 update

Large, inconsistent margins added to PDF after Dec. updateLarge, inconsistent margins added to PDF after Dec. update

AlbertJan
Frequent Visitor

Hi I'm experiencing the same problem. Before, my report was published to .pdf in the same aspect ratio as the report, and without extra margins. Now, pages are cropped into another aspect ratio and at all sides a margin is added. I am spending a lot of hours to reformat these reports in order to be 'presentable' for our customers.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Update from PG team:

It looks like the margins depend on the default printer's settings. So potential mitigation is to change the default printer's settings in the "Printers and settings" settings.

Best Regards,

datanerd21
Regular Visitor

@v-yingjl can you elaborate on where I'm supposed to find those options? There are a thouasand places to check and alter printer settings.

fbrusa
Regular Visitor

Hi Yingjie,

I can't find where to change the printing settings. Power BI Desktop does not have a Printer Settings screen, while if I check Windows Printer Settings I can't find any way to set margins...I can only change the orientation.

Regards,

Fabrizio.