Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIX files in Onedrive are not syncing to the service always

Hi,

We are using OneDrive for Version Control.

We add our PBIX files into Onedrive and connect them with the PBI Service.

According to the documentation, the updates made to the PBIX (New measures / Model Changes) should be synced to the file in PBI Service with in an hour.  However, this is not always successful. We again have to manually publish after knowing that changes have not been synced.

I would need some help around this. Do we have any mechanism to see if the changes that we made and uploaded to onedrive are synced successfully by the PBI Service.

Note : We use a datamodel.PBIX and several other .PBIX reports using this datamodel. Every file is connected to the onedrive location of the workspace where we publish the reports.

Thanks,

Nishanth.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please go to Refresh History -> OneDrive section check if there is any record around the time the change applied in pbix file. 

To check if the changes are sync, besides check refresh history, we can also go to dataset and compare fields with pbix file. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Qiuyun,

On further understanding, i see this isssue ( PBIX files not sycing between sharepoint / ondrive and Power bi Service) is happening with those PBIX files which are using PowerbiDatasets as a datasource.

If a PBIX file contains reports and dataset in same file then the file sync / schema updates work properly. But if there is only Report and if we make some changes to the report the sync doesn't work.

This is a limitation of using file sync and source control for pbix files

Thanks,

Nishanth.

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

I'm also facing the same issue. It was working fine earlier and issue started appearing from 16th June only and no change has happened to the datamodel that might have caused the issue.

I'm using power bi dataflow as the data source for my PBIX which is stored in one drive for business and connected to power bi service using that under same workspace.

Could you have a look please as the changes are not reflected and we don;t want to change the URL of report by publishing it again as the old URL is already shared with stakeholders.

Thanks you.

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

Could we've updates please? Thanks.

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous , @v-qiuyu-msft , I tried many options and spent 5 hours but none of them worked.

Then I disabled the schedule refresh for my dataset, enabled one drive refresh, updated the model (just created a test measure) and checked the onedrive refresh did happen and PBIX was updated in service and synching again (took around 15 mins to reflect in service). It's weird issue with Power BI but the workaround did work for me. 

Please check if it works for you!

Thanks.

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

Issue is still there. I tried with above workaround for one of my other reports where One Drive sync stopped and it didn't work.

It's weird how these issues are introduced to the product, everything works fine and suddenly stop working without any change.

Please can we have the resolution here?

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

Can we please have the updates?

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

@Microsoft - can we please have the updates? I have to spend hours just to fix the ondedrive sync and there's no known cause at the moment. your response will be appreciated as our organisation used PBI and premium customer of Microsoft.