Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

.PBIT includes data itself

It seems that the latest version of PBI Desktop (2.40.4554.463 64-bit) saves also all data to the .pbit file. Both files (.pbix & .pbit) are same size and when double clicking the .pbit and choosing Edit when the parameter is asked, you are able to open the file with all data. We tested this behaviour with to data sources; with filename-parameter (Access as a data source) and with email-parameter (Microsoft Exchange as a data source).

Steps:

1. Create query from Microsoft Exchange.

2. Load mail.

3. Add parameter "Email" and use it as a argument: =Exchange.Contents(Email)

4. Save As Power BI File (.pbix).

5. Save As Power BI Template File (.pbit).

6. Files are same size.

7. Double Click Template file open and choose Load>Edit.

8. Close Query Editor and choose Not Now.

9. Study the data.

Comments
vitaly
Helper III

I've come across the same behavior. There are two ways to save templates in Power BI:

1) Use the Export menu option

2) Use the Save As menu option and change file type to Power BI template

Same as you, I've initially used option #2 and noticed that it keeps the data in the file. This results in a large template file and potential data leakage. Option #1 works as expected.

As this a bug or is it intentional (if so, in what way)?

WMSADCo
Regular Visitor

I saved the file as .pbix and exported it as a .pbit and the data is still attached. Anybody able to solve this so that only the template is saved ?

TaylorClark
Power BI Team

Would someone be willing to message me a PBIX file that shows this behavior? I've started investigating but haven't been able to reproduce this behavior myself yet.

vitaly
Helper III

Taylor, sorry for the delay, I just saw your message. I think you can import any Excel file into any model to repro this. Please PM me if that does not work.

Kinsey
Advocate II

I agree that there seems to be issues with the pbit file as opposed to the pbix (so I now prefer a lat pbix template). So much for pbit