Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI_X64 error - July 2017 error opening (We weren't abble to connect to the model)

Hi to all,

I just installed the latest version of PBI X64 (2.48.4792.481) and when I open the PBI it returns an error "We weeren't able to connect to the model."

Error occurs opening the PBI normally or opening a existig PBIX file.

error.png

Workaround was to install previous version, from 21/06/2017.

Regards

MFelix

Comments
brianhartman
Power BI Team

Thank you Poul.  The information in your logs is consistent with what we have seen with other users who have reported this problem.  One of the avenues we are investigating is the language of the machine.  What language is your OS?  And if possible for you to try, does switching the language to English allow you to load the application?  Obviously that's not a real workaround, but we're having difficulty reproducing the problem locally, so if it does launch in another language, that will help us narrow down the problem.

poujor
Regular Visitor

@brianhartman. The OS is native OS english, using da-dk keyboard layout only. Would you like me to try starting the Power BI July 2017 with keyboard layout set to en-us ?

I'm running the computer in a mode with the option to switch keyboard language layout just by using the nice keyboard-short-cut <Win-Key>+ <Space>

poujor
Regular Visitor

@brianhartman Just tried to uninstall June edition, change Language to be en-us, reinstalled Power BI July. No changes the same : "Unable to Start Power BI Desktop (we weren't able to connect to the model)"

srinivt
Employee

What is the region and language setting you are using?

srinivt
Employee

What region and language settings are you using on your machine?

poujor
Regular Visitor

HI @srinivt

I'm not sure if you are asking me. But my answer is :

The OS language is always English (US), my locale and keyboard settings are normally da-dk. - consult seeting in intl.cpl or 

For informtion. I have a private laptop with same OS and language settings. Here everything works like a charm.

I tried to install a brand new Windows 10  64 bit 1703 in a VM on the computer I'm having issues on. Here i get the exact same problem starting Power BI July 2017

poujor
Regular Visitor

@brianhartman@srinivt

I have been testing a bit about this issue.

On a virtual machine were I have previously had issues, I tried the following:

Open intl.cpl (regional settings)

Change all settings in here to be US english (all tabs, all links & all buttons)

Install Power BI x64 July (July 11) and launch with success.

Change settings back in intl.cpl ( in my case to Danish) - Language and display of OS is US-english at all times

Launched Power BI Desktop again - with NO issues 🙂

The I did the Excact same exercise on the troublesome Physical Windows 10

Everything worked fine in us-english

Unable to connect to model after changing all to Danish Smiley Sad   {Excluding thebelow:  Match Windows display language (recommended) }

Not workingNot working

Changing the Format to the below made it work: Smiley Happy

WorkingWorking

I hope this information will bring you somewhat closer finding the exact issue 

Regards

Poul

brianhartman
Power BI Team

Thank you to everyone who provided logs and other diagnostic information.  We have fixed this issue with the August release of Power BI Desktop, which is available today.  Please let us know if you continue to experience problems.

kimani
Power BI Team

This has been fixed in the August release of Power BI Desktop. Please install it and let us know if you run into any issues. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-august-2017-feature-summary/

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue is now occurring for me in the latest October 2017 release!  (unable to start -- weren't able to connect to model).  Any advice would be helpful!