Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI Service - Data alerts stopped working until dashboard was reopened

Hello, 

I recently found a bug with power bi service alerts.  We currently have a data quality dashboard that monitors certain aspects of our power bi datasets.  We had a user of our dashboard notice that one of the historical totals had changed when some new data came into the system.  This is one of the totals that we had set an alert for and it should have set alerted us but isntead when I opened the dashboard to troubleshoot the issue, it loaded and then I got all the alerts. 

I think this must be a bug because I shouldn't have to have the dashboard open in order to see the alerts. 

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @mproy ,

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

Basically you can set schedule refresh for your dataset, when it completed, if the value is above threshold, you would receive the e-mail automatically without reopening the dashboard.

Refer:

1. Configure scheduled refresh 
  2. Data alerts in the Power BI service 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

mproy
Frequent Visitor

Yes I understand the scheduled refresh.  The thing is it went through two scheduled refreshes and still didn't give me a notification.  Instead I got the alerts when I opened the dashboard for the first time in a while. Have you heard of this happening?

mproy
Frequent Visitor

@v-yingjlI was wondering if you have gotten any more complaints about this... Its starting to happen almost on a daily basis for us but even when I open the dashboard I am not getting the alerts now.  The alerts seem to be totally not working in our case.  Here is an example:

This tile should send an alert if it goes about 3.

mproy_0-1628600769700.png

Here are the settings:

mproy_2-1628600965380.png

Even though this tile is above 3 it is not pushing out an alert to us and has not since going above 3.

Please let me know if you have any information that can help.  We would love to use this part of the service but at this point we are considering taking our data quality checks outside of a dashboard as this continues to happen.

v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @mproy ,

Consider these limitations about data alerts:

• Alerts aren't supported for card tiles with date/time measures.
  • Alerts only work with numeric data types.
  • Alerts only work on refreshed data. They don't work on static data. If you set up automatic refresh data, and can guarantee the normal operation of automatic refresh. And you can ensure that the alert rule is also set normally, then you should be able to receive emails.
  • Alerts only work on streaming datasets if you build a KPI, card, or gauge report visual and then pin that visual to the dashboard.

In addition, you can try to use Microsoft flow to check it, refer: Email Alerts on Power BI Dashboards with Microsoft Flow – Better Together 

Best Regards,

mproy
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yingjl

My Card tiles are all numeric data types that are connected to a dataset that refreshes daily in the morning. As you could see from my settings the alert is setup correctly.  Additionally, I have microsoft flows setup to send an email and post in a teams channel when any alert goes off.  That all being said, the alerts aren't going off appropriately in the first place.

v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @mproy ,

Still could not reproduce it in my side. Suggest you to create a support ticket here for further fast help if this issue is urgent for you.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,