Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI Desktop suddenly starts throwing "Query references other queries" error when left open for 30min

I have a report which has been built in the "correct" way for merging queries from different sources, i.e. it only ever merges the results of other queries, and doesn't refer directly to the data sources when merging.  This normally works fine and refreshes fine in PBI Service, however I've noticed that if I leave Power BI Desktop open and idling for 30 or so minutes and then try to do another refresh, the refresh fails with the "Query references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source" error.  I have set up the Data Source Privacy levels correctly, and tried changing them round, but still get the same issue.  I tried deleting the offending queries that the error referred to, and all that happened was the error was thrown for a different query (again set up with merges without direct references to data sources). 

If I reopen the file and refresh it, all works correctly again.  Anyone had this in the past, or is it a new issue with June's release?  I've not seen it before!

Thanks,

Mark

Comments