Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI Desktop freeze when connect to live dataset

Hello,

I am using version: 2.99.782.0 64-bit (November 2021).

I sign in account in PBI Desktop and can see the list of live datasets, but when picking any of them (even the very small size for testing purpose) then the PBI freeze. This issue just happens today, I still connect as usual last week.

I did tried reinstalling PBI Desktop several times but no success. I even try installing the latest version: 2.99.862.0 64-bit (November 2021), but the issue is still there.

Is this issue caused by my PC, network or PBI?

First glad to hear that this issue has been resolved by changing network environment and thanks for your feedback.

'Microsoft team can make a notification in the PBI Desktop to tell "Fail to connect to live dataset because...'

You can consider submiting a new idea here about this feaure.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test when I used the lateset version of Power BI Desktop to connect.

Since it just happens today, could it be a temporary issue that yon can try to check it in some other times because there seems not known issues about it as far as I know.

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for investigating this issue, @v-yingjl 

I discover a topic about this issue today, https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Cannot-connect-to-Power-BI-dataset/m-p/825073#M79053, it described exactly the symptom I met.

Follow the solution, I change to public internet network and then I can connect to live dataset without any problem.

So this is network issue, I would be pleased if Microsoft team can provide their users the list of https requests required for PBI, so IT network staff know to add them to the exclusion. Or Microsoft team can make a notification in the PBI Desktop to tell "Fail to connect to live dataset because..." instead of freezing that would make most of users think this is a software error.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

First glad to hear that this issue has been resolved by changing network environment and thanks for your feedback.

'Microsoft team can make a notification in the PBI Desktop to tell "Fail to connect to live dataset because...'

You can consider submiting a new idea here about this feaure.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,