Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBI Desktop development annoyingly slow - adding measures, searching for measures, formatting, etc.

Hello,

this issue has been bothering me for a while, and still keeps happening in the latest version (2.79.5768.663 64-bit [March 2020])

The issue is that Power BI Desktop is being very slow (displaying "Working on it" white modal bar) for almost any model development activities, including but not limited to:
- adding a new measure
- applying changes to measure syntax

- changing the formatting of measure (which you have to do in steps > thousand separator, decimal points, etc.)
- searching columns/measures are also super slow (the field list would completely freeze for seconds)
- cancelling out of creating a measure

What do I mean by slow? Usually, 10-20 seconds, which is a lot given how many clicks and actions does it take to create and format a new measure. It is really hampering the user experience.

The issue is NOT the performance of measures themselves, the report is pretty snappy when filtering / cross highlighting

Any idea what might be causing it?

I have tried what was suggested here to no avail: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Performance-Issue-Really-Slow-While-Developing-probable/m-p...

This also doesn't seem to apply as all data is imported in the model: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PBI-desktop-very-slow-freeze/m-p/254704#M113382

Apart from the above, I have also tried (with no success or difference observed):
- testing on a tiny model with 1 table - no issues there (but where is the cutoff?)
- removing all bi-directional filter relationships

- removing half of the tables from the model

My Laptop: Lenovo T470, Core i5-7200U, 16GB of RAM (so no slouch), high-performance power mode, nothing else running/open, freshly restarted for this test. I have observed similar behaviours on some of these models with other users in our company, so I don't believe it's workstation related.

The Model (this doesn't happen in just one, several of our company's PBIX files - ranging from 40-100MBs have the same issue).
That said, the model I talk about has:
- 90MB
- 214 measures
- 950 columns across 45 tables (it's a model with most of our company's dimension tables and it needs to support multiple reporting questions)

- model is used by multiple other reports as Power BI Dataset
(shoutout to Reza Rad and his PBI Helper https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Performance-Issue-Really-Slow-While-Developing-probable/m-p...)

Thank you.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, will do.

Strangely, whenever I click on "Submit Issue" In Power BI service, it never gets me to the place to actually submit issues, rather, it brings you to the community main page.

Could you guys please make it easier to submit an issue via standard links in Power BI?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Any step forward?
I'm facing the same issue...

Thanks,