Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI Desktop ( Version: 2.69.5467.2151 64-bit (May 2019) ) saves Corrupt PBIX files.

Hello, 

i have recently got an issue with Power BI Desktop ( Version: 2.69.5467.2151 64-bit (May 2019) )

I opened a PBIX file to update a report an republish it, i didn't finished my changes so i saved the document

to continue later,  now i cant get the saved pbix file to open.

My reports only use one datasource, an sql data source.

Error Message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Login failed for user ''.. The exception was raised by the IDbConnection interface.
A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of '5556bb6e'

I made the experiment of opening a working copy of another report, just click save and close the file, and retry opening the file with the same error results.

In the SQL logs i can see a all of the failed connection attempts for user '' (empty) so it seems the latest power bi desktop is not saving the report credentials correctly, nor is allowing to re-introduce them at loading the file, nor it is finishing opening the report so you can fix the querys.   

The SQL Server says the server is configured for windows autentication only but that is not the case, it is correctly setup to accept both windows and sql autentication. 

So when i open the report, there is an actual attempt to get the data, but the credentials are wrongly saved.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 9.11.33 PM.png
Does anyone knows a way to bypass the saved credentials in the report for the datasources, as if i open any file make changes, publish them, i will loose my pbix file as it is saved when publishing making it inaccesible later for any further changes.

I can't neither download a pbix copy of the published versión of the report, as i get the same errors at opening the file.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @miguelarce

Please create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

miguelarce
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft  i have already created a ticket to look into this issue.

i updated to power bi desktop Version: 2.70.5494.562 64-bit (June 2019) yesterday
and seems the corruption at saving is gone, i can now safely save my files to continue working on them later, however i cant get it to open downloaded copys of reports published with the may 2019 version.

miguelarce
Regular Visitor

Hello,

after some testing i can confim the bug/issue creating this errors is still present in Power BI Desktop 
Version: 2.70.5494.562 64-bit (June 2019)

I found that the PBIX files with a DAX Date table 

Dates = 
VAR BaseCalendar =
    CALENDAR ( min(Ticket[Ticket_OpenDate] ), UTCTODAY() )
RETURN
    GENERATE (
        BaseCalendar,
        VAR BaseDate = [Date]
        VAR YearDate = YEAR ( BaseDate )
        VAR MonthNumber = MONTH ( BaseDate )
        VAR Daynum = DAY( BaseDate )

RETURN ROW (
            "Year", YearDate,
            "Month Number", MonthNumber,
            "Month", FORMAT ( BaseDate, "mmm" ),
            "DayNum", Daynum,
            "Day",FORMAT(BaseDate,"ddd dd"),
            "Year Month", FORMAT ( BaseDate, "mmm yy" )
        )
    )

That is preventing the pbix file to load. 

djyoder27
Regular Visitor

I seem to be having the same issue. June 2019 version, added a Date Table the last time I opened the report. Saved and closed and now can not reopen.

Have you found a sollution?