Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

On-premises data gateway personal mode: unable to connect (to SharePoint)

I installed On-Premises Data Gateway (personal mode) and the installation was successful. Connected: Your gateway is good to go.

I go to my Dataset, click Settings and I see this:Settings.png

I go to Manage Gateways, and I try to add Data Source (Type Sharepoint) with Authentication Method Anonymous and failed. I tried with Authentication Method Windows and failed too. The error message is the same: Unable to Connect. Is this a bug?

unable to connect.png

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@sukajalan2

Before add data source in Manage Gateways, you need to install the on-premises data gateway instead of on-premises data gateway (personal mode).

Once you install/configure the on-premises data gateway, and add data source in PBI Service successfully, you should be able to select "Use a data gateway" under "Gateway connection".

Please have a try on your side again.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

sukajalan2
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft  Thank you. I can add SAP BW Data Source Type, but I still have a problem with SharePoint due to credentials issue, using either Anonymous or Windows.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@sukajalan2

Before you add Data Source (Type Sharepoint) with Authentication Method Anonymous or Windows, have you installed and signed in to the latest on-premises gateway successfully?

Best Regards,
Herbert

sukajalan2
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

Yes, I successfully sign-in to the gateway. As I wrote before, I can add SAP BW Data Source. It is the Type Sharepoint that gives me credentials issue.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@sukajalan2

Are you able to get data from SharePoint with the same credential in Power BI Desktop?

If yes and issue persists, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).
If issue is resolved, you can share the solution here later to help others who have the same problem.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Herbert

sukajalan2
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

I can connect to my SharePoint files from Power BI Desktop and refresh without any issue. After I publish in Service, I cannot schedule to refresh it because of credentials. I will create a support ticket. Thank you.

FYI there is no issue with One Drive files. I can schedule to refresh in Power BI Service. The only reason I have to use SharePoint is the .xlsb format of the files.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

sukajalan2
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I opened the ticket was told that the issue was due to the multi-factor authentication of my Microsoft Account. It is fixed now and I do not have any issue with refreshing the report with the data in SharePoint.  Thanks!