Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

On premise data gateway odbc: refresh timeout

I all and many thanks in advance for any support.

I have some issues on data refresh concerning a big query (about 300 million rows, 50 cols).

I set up an environment where power bi service refresh such a dataset from an odbc connection through the on premise data gateway.

I tried it from the desktop client and all seems ok even if it took about two hours, but once the refresh has been scheduled from online service  (using the gateway) it fails. On request refresh neither worked.

A microsoft consultant state that the gateway is limited to one hour per query, then it goes directly to a timeout error.

I cannot find this information in official documentation or in previous posted messages.

Is there any experience concerning such a limitation? or some parameter that can be managed in gateway configuration?

Thank you in advance,

V

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ValerioVilli

What is the detailed error message while refresh failed in Power BI Service? You can find it in the refresh history – Details.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ValerioVilli
Regular Visitor

Thanks for reply.

The refresh history table doesn't report any specific error description, just failed.

I will provide a screenshot, as soon as i will be able to connect to customer's remote server.

I just observed that three attempts, one manual and two scheduled, failed after ome hour exactly.

I found no official docs about that behaviour, a microsoft application consultant told me about this fixed timeout parameter of the on premise data gateway.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Valerio,

I have been facing the similar issue in my case Power BI Service refresh time out after 2 hours and sometime it goes till 4 hours and time out. 

Did you find any solution to your problem. Please share the findings and results.

Thanks