Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Odata SharePoint Folder Not Refreshable in PBI Service

Created a data source to read a onedrive folder (sharepoint) to iterate through daily log files. When I publish to PBI service, I get this message trying to schedule a refresh.

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because one or more sources currently don't support refresh

Docs indicate that this should be able to be scheduled.

Using the following as a source for reading log files in the folder, then invoking a function to expaned all the data.

= OData.Feed("https://company-my.sharepoint.com/personal/name_company_com/_vti_bin/listdata.svc")

the only other source is reading an excel file directly from the same location.

= Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://company-my.sharepoint.com/personal/name_company_com/Documents/SourceData/Dispositions.xlsx"), null, true)

Data source permissions are set to organizational account.

Not sure why this renders my report unrefreshable?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mcolb88,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. After you retrieve data from these two data sources, do you perform any other steps in Query Editor? 

Please try to update the Power BI desktop to the latest version then open the report, republish to Power BI service. 

Also you can test with our report to see if the issue related to your report. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mcolb88
Helper III

Hi,

I recreated the report one step at at time to see when the refresh capability gets lost.  Add each query in PowerQuery, save and publish report to the service, then check dataset settings.

Query 1. Load OneDrive folder list of CSVs, refresh is good after setting credentials

Query 2. Added a data source, loading a spcific Excel file from One Drive, refresh is good after setting credentials

Query 3. Created a function that loads each CSV file, refresh not supported

The whole point to this is to drop a new file daily into the OneDrive folder and have the Power BI report refreshed. It seems as soon as I reference the file name using a parameter, refresh is no longer possible. 

I am using the following to load the list;

= OData.Feed("https://company-my.sharepoint.com/personal/name_company_com/_vti_bin/listdata.svc")

= Source{[Name="Documents",Signature="table"]}[Data]

filter the rows down to the CSV's I want to load...

I then invoke a function that loads the file content for that row passing the name

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Data", each LoadAgentStateDailyExtract([Name]))

the function is below

let
Source = (AgentStateDailyExtract_FileName as text) => let
Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents("company-my.sharepoint.com/personal/name_company_com/Documents/Source Data/" & AgentStateDailyExtract_FileName),[Delimiter=",", Columns=25, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
#"Promoted Headers"
in
Source

as soon as I added invoking the function, the service will no longer allow me to refresh with the message.

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because one or more sources currently don't support refresh.

Is there a work around for this or am I stuck? This would seemingly be a VERY comon scenario for updated files to be dropped onto OneDrive and a dataset refreshed.

There seems to be a bug here, I would think as long as I set the credentials for the oData feed, as long as the function does not reference a sharepoint location not previously specified, it should all work.

Thanks!

SoraiaT
Helper I

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

I have the same issue. I've created a ODATA Feed to get the items on Sharepoint lists with the same name on different Sharepoint sites. I can manually refresh on Power Bi Desktop but in Power Bi Service it says it does not recognize the data source.

Thank you in advance,

Best,

Soraia

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

It's a limitation currently. You can vote this same idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9312540-make-functions-refreshabl...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu