Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I'm getting this error - what could that be?

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-03-19T03:33:37.6006206Z

Local Time:
2020-03-19T04:33:37.6006206+01:00

Session ID:
8a1b724b-b10f-4a10-b2d0-08d81840f2fe

Release:
March 2020

Product Version:
2.79.5768.721 (20.03) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.EvaluationOrLoadHadErrorsForAnyQuery()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.<DisplayErrorOrClose>d__25.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.<>c__DisplayClass32_0.<<StartLoadToReportFlow>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 sl-SI)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528040]

Peak Virtual Memory:
39.9 GB

Private Memory:
1.42 GB

Peak Working Set:
1.81 GB

IE Version:

User ID:
dd2d8bde-c05a-4b83-bb29-3863cf0f10c5

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 69, fastCombine: Enabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\turk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot130145405.zip

Model Default Mode:
Import

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Is Report V3 Models Enabled:
False

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_showMinervaRibbon
PBI_showMinervaViewNavigator

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PQ_AIInsightsFunctionBrowser
PBI_realTimeRefresh
PBI_v3Models
PBI_decompositionTree
PBI_themeDialog
PBI_hierarchicalSlicerCreation

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Which steps did you take in Power BI desktop then causes this issue? Please clarify it clearly. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Sudheerv
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

When ever I open an existing file, receiving the error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I have tried updating the windows, uninstalled and installed the Power BI Desktop. But still the issue persists.  But where as my friends are able to access the same file.  I have downloaded the same file which they are able to access from the service and tried accessing it. But still unable to access the files from yesterday.  I have even reported the issue also.

Error.png

Sudheerv
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

I'm also facing the same issue.

Unable to access the reports in desktop. 

Please do the needful. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Please start Power BI desktop as administrator, then click on File -> Open to see if the same issue occurs. Also please ensure the pbix file is saved in local drive rather than network drive. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Sudheerv
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

Tried opening Power BI desktop as administrator,  then File -> Open, selected the file which was copied earlier to desktop. Still the issue persists. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Please check if the anti-virus software block the related Power BI desktop processes. If not, I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ericOnline
Post Patron

I'm receiving this same error. 

im_newbie_123
Frequent Visitor

Getting the same error : 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

dkapinos

I'd like to share my researches. There are installed MS office 2019 and the latest version of PBI: 2.88.1385.0 64-bit (Dec 2020). I've  set 2 different type connections to the same Oracle (12C) databse: ODAC and ODBC. Both of them work fine from Excel. However, trying to use an ODAC connection from PBI got  a msg: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Then i have created an ODBC conection. Successful. Then i've created the ODAC as a second connection to the same DB. Successful as well. Finally I've deleted the ODBC connection, refreshed and seen "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" again. Any ideas?

Patryk_PL_92
Helper I

I encoutered same problem today.

In my case there was problem with data model.

Simply, my data sources are coming from various excel files which are stored in various Sharepoint Folders.

For some reason - Power BI (PQ) has pulled all columns available in excel file which is around 10000 (no matter those were blank). There was a step to add custom column "Connector", it could not be added as PQ reached limit of columns (there was no error notification in PQ which is strange).

Because of that, data from this table did not have any relationship with other tables and refreshing was impossible.

I fixed that by removing all null columns.

Then custom column could be added and relationship with other columns has been restored.