Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OLE DB Data source connecting to Gatewaay

I am having trouble getting a published dataset created with an OLE DB connection, to connect to a Gateway Connection.  I was able to setup the Gateway Data Source using OLE DB, no issue you there.  The problem is when I try to link the Dataset to the Gateway data source, I get the message “Not configured correctly”

The connection string we are using in Powerbi is the same that we are using for the Gateway data source and looks something like

provider=SQLNCLI11.1;initial catalog=DBNAME;data source=SERVERNAME;applicationi intent=READONLY.

Again, this all works in both PowerBI and for the Data Source.  I just cannot seem to get the Dataset to reckonise that the Gateway datasource exists.  What is wrong?

Has anyone else seen this issue?

CannotConnect.PNG

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Can you connect to the data source with power bi desktop? Or this issue only happens on power bi service? Please trying updating data gateway to the latest version and check if this issue persists.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we can connect with PowerBI desktop. Yes,  I can setup a OLE DB Database on the Gateway.  The problem comes when we publish and try to connect the dataset to the data source.  It does not seem to recognise the OLE DB data source on the gateway and as such, we cannot connect it.

I don't see how the gateway version is in play here.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Please update power bi and gateway to the latest version, if this issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket here for further analysis.

Support Ticket.gif 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

As usual, upgrading the gateway did not reslove the problem or make any differance.  This seems to be a big with the app.powerbi site, not the gateway.

I am not able to open tickets on the https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ site as I have a government account.  Government accounts do not work with that site.  I only get a message that says the following when I try to log in:

"We can't finish signing you up.
It looks like Microsoft Power BI isn't currently available for your work or school."