Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ODBC Simba Snowflake driver - PBI desktop Aug 2021

In both versions of Aug 2021 (1st, and 2nd 08/24) the installation breaks the Snowflake driver connection as in the photo below.

snowflake_PBI_destkop_break.png

https://twitter.com/janizajc/status/1430114296399384576/photo/1

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @janizz ,

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test. I have tested it on August version of Power BI Desktop with ODBC connector to connect to Snowflake and it works fine.

vyingjl_0-1629873970590.png

From the error code -126, ODBC Driver cannot be loaded due to system error could be caused by Registry.

You can refer these two simliar issues and try to follow by them to check your Registry whether it has been configured correctly or whether the .dll file has gone.

1. ODBC Driver cannot be loaded due to system error (126) 
  2. ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be foun... 

By the way, make sure your ODBC conenction bit version is the same as the Power BI Destkop.(both 64-bit or both 32-bit)

In addition, this post is not a support ticket, just an issue idea on the commnunity, members on the community could comment here to try their best to help you. If you want to create a support ticket indeed for further fast help, you can create it here.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

janizz
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yingjl ,

thanks for your response and clarifiy how to open a support ticket. On the other hand, however, I just install the last version and all my PBI files connecting to Snowflake DWH stop working with the error I posted above, no changes, and also I guess it it nothing connected with windows ODBC 32/64 drivers, as do not use those and no changes to whatsoever to that from my side.

What I do however, and this solves the problem temporarely, is that I copy the whole "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ODBC Drivers" folder from a server with the prev version of Power BI dekstop (now I have backuped this folder in a zip for safety purpuses) to my computer and as it seems overwiriting with the prev version of the Snowflake connector makes it work again. Very creepy.

I have opend a 'real' support tickets, thanks.

arusky
Frequent Visitor

Any updates to this? I just updated and having same problem here. It was working fine before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem here with the Aug 21 update..

arusky
Frequent Visitor

I just resolved it by downgrading the version. I submitted the ticket, but it looks like MS is not aware of the issue. Thank God I did not delete the old installation file.

janizz
Regular Visitor

Hey, thanks for the standard answer, which regretfully have not helped.

Anyways, opening a support ticket helped, because some cache files put you in an unsupported state.

What you have to do to solve is: clear the files/folders C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\PowerBIDesktop\Cacheand reinstall PBI desktop. Did it myself with support and solved the issue. It might also work without reinstalling - try.

MS knows about it, at least from with me opening and solving the issue. But as the solutions suggests it is not a bug of the PBI application itself (therefore it doesn't get as much attention), but of the installer (I guess) as it puts you in a state of not wokring as some of you had the pleasure of seeing.

Still it is not a good experience with PBI dekstop just not working and getting a quite serious erro. But I guess we solved it and we go on...