Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ODBC Can't see tables in Navigator

I am trying to connect to Cygnet (Database) using ODBC. I can successfully connect to it in MS Access using ODBC. When I try in Power BI I get as far as the Navigator screen. I can see the Cygnet database that I am trying to connect to but none of the tables are shown. Any ideas?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jacksj12

Are MS Access and PBI Desktop installed on the same machine and proper drivers have been installed? Could you please post a screenshot for the Navigator of PBI?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Jacksj12

Yes, MS Access and PBI Desktop installed on the same machine and I think I installed the proper drivers. PBI is 64 bit and pretty much everything else on my machine is 32. I installed the 64 bit ODBC driver for Cygnet which allowed me to get this far.

Navigator.jpg

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jacksj12

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 32123684

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jacksj12

Could you please collect an ODBC trace while performing the operation in question. ODBC traces can be collected as follows:

1) Exit Power BI Desktop.
2) Run the ODBC Data Sources Administrator matching the bitness of the Power BI Desktop installation.
3) Select the Tracing tab.
4) Note the Log File Path or configure a different path that's accessible to your user account.
5) Click "Start Tracing Now" and then OK.
6) Start Power BI Desktop and perform the operation that doesn't work correctly.
7) Close Power BI Desktop
😎 Run the ODBC Administrator again and go back to the Tracing tab, then click Stop Tracing Now
9) Collect the log file generated at the Log File path and send it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jacksj12

If issue persists, please help to provide above info to us.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jacksj12

Do you have any update about it?

Best Regards,
Herbert

murtonen

I am having the same issue with multiple different ODBC drivers and sources.

For example, Interbase ODBC 32bit version works fine with navigator showing tables, but 64bit version does not.

MariaDB 64bit ODBC or 32bit ODBC neither seem to be showing any tables in navigator.

I can get the data if I put the SQL statement directly into the optional SQL statement.

This is a pressing issue for us, so I would also request a quick solution.

Dave_Tavala
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue, connecting to cTree ACE SQL db via ODBC driver. I know the driver is good; I use it daily in MS Access to connect. Also used in Excel a few times, but had similar issues with seeing tables there once so I stuck to using Access.

I have traced the process--happy to post it here; just not sure how to attach a file (it's quite long for human reading) If someone can tell me how to attach a file to my comments, I'll post it?

Thanks,

Dave_Tavala
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue, connecting to cTree ACE SQL db via ODBC driver. I know the driver is good; I use it daily in MS Access to connect. Also used in Excel a few times, but had similar issues with seeing tables there once so I stuck to using Access.

I have traced the process--happy to post it here; just not sure how to attach a file (it's quite long for human reading) If someone can tell me how to attach a file to my comments, I'll post it?

Thanks,