Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Number 16 on Linear chart automatically assumed and displayed as Year 2016

Hi,

Today faced the followng trouble: in default Linear chart I have 2 series of data (nothing special, using Excel as source). All was totally fine until today, when the 1st (and yet only) dot of one series got value of 16 - and PowerBI somehow decided this is YEAR 2016 and automatically displayed it that way:

2017-01-10_13.06.54.png

Similar chart next to it that uses 2 other columns of the same table, but no 16 (or other numbers that look like year) is displayed as expected. The problem is I can't find any chart option / setting that may force PowerBI to show number AS IS, w/o assumption it's a YEAR.

Please either advise or help / fix. Thanks in advance!

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@plyaskovsky

Is this issue reproducible in Power BI Desktop? Could you please provide your PBIX file, or the excel source to me? You can upload it to online file service (e.g. OneDrive) and share it. Make sure you’ve removed the sensitive data before sharing.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

plyaskovsky
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msftHere's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdezxrnxj6blb9v/2016.xlsx?dl=0 - only table in question is left here, problematic column is well visible from the screenshot above. Please LMK if you need anything else. Thanks!

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@plyaskovsky

I’m still not able to repro the same issue as you. Could you please also provide your PBIX file?

Best Regards,

Herbert

plyaskovsky
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msftSorry I have NO PBIX - I use PowerBI web only, and for web version I double checked with the file I shared you - the issue is reproducible every time, for newly created dataset as well.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@plyaskovsky

Thanks for your information, I can repro the same issue as you now. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 29561501

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

plyaskovsky
Regular Visitor

Hi, @v-haibl-msft ! Any progress with fixing the issue? Thanks!

plyaskovsky
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft - I have an update about the issue: as soon as I REMOVED the word "Year" from columns names - the issue disappeared and charts now look as intended. Hope that may help with proper fix. Take care!

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@plyaskovsky

I've got response from the product team:

Column name contains "Year" that's why the data on that column are considering as year.

After discussions here, this is by design. Desktop and PBI service have different routes of interpreting and shaping models because of Q&A feature. Customer can have better column names in the Excel file to avoid such issues.

Best Regards,

Herbert