Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Not receiving email notification when someone requests access for a dashboard inside a workgroup

We are publishing dashboards using our workgroup workspace. When someone uses the link to access the dashboard and he/she has no access, he/she sees the "request access" link to request access. When he/she requests access, the workgroup members (neither the admin/owner) are not receving any email notification about this access request, so we may have several pending access requests without knowing it.

I am listed as the owner of the workgroup in Office365 and also in PowerBI settings (when going to "Edit Group" directly from PowerBI, I am listed as admin), but I'm not receving any notification email. In Office365 group settings I also checked the setting to send email copies to all group members, but we are not receiving any email.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Nuria_Carol,

I find the same issue reported internally: CRI 19210798.

This behaviour is by design.

Each O365 group there is a setting that controls whether that group can receive emails from a sender outside its organization. This setting is false by default for all the groups and needs to be enabled manually.

In our current scenario emails are sent from no-reply@powerbi.com, and hence the users were not receiving any email.

You can follow below steps to work around teh issue:

1. Visit Outlook in web  https://outlook.office.com/owa/
2. Select the Office 365 group of interest
3. Click on ellipsis on the top right corner and then click on "Edit Group"
4. And check the box for "Let people outside the organization email the group"

q5.PNG

5. Click "Save"

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

MattG
Advocate II

Hi

I've just noticed this myself, so thank you for the suggested solution. I also notice that these requests don't create a notification in my notification centre within Power BI, will this solution also create notifications within Power BI?

Matt

Nuria_Carol
Advocate I

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft!

I just changed this setting and now we are receiving the email notifications.

Núria.

sdegroot
Helper I

Hello,

Does anyone know a solution when using Microsoft Outlook?

Thank you!

svroberts

Hi! It's 2019 and we have the same issue. How can we start getting notifications when someone requests access to Power BI dashboards? Thanks! 

MattG
Advocate II

If you've ticked the box above, it may be to do with the default set up for the Group where emails have been disabled by the O365 admin. I would contact them and see if they can amend the settings.

prita
Helper I

Hi changed the settings, yet having the same issue. Anyone know a workaround?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the feeling im having the same problem. Cant really wrap my head around it. Any updates?

MattG
Advocate II

Hi @Anonymous is your workspace a new one or a classic one created as when a team Group or Team was set up? If it is a clasic one I would  upgrade to a new workspace and see if that solves the problem.