Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Not able to open PBI file (even new blank one)

After instalation of PBI Desktop update (March) I am not ableto open any PBI file (even new blank one). I tried to repair PBI desktop via Control PAnel, reinstall back to rpevious verison, change x64 bit to x32 bit version, but nothing worked. 

Error messages varies based on PBI file that i am trying to open, below is one of the error logs that PBI shown me after PBI failed. Sometimes is error message only announcement that PBIDesktop is not able to load data modle and nothing else (what is kinda strange when this error message appear during opening of blank PBI file...

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2018-03-16T11:34:23.0617108Z

Local Time:
2018-03-16T12:34:23.0617108+01:00

Session ID:
a986f59a-fb3f-477b-852e-f5c8a5ebf5a6

Release:
March 2018

Product Version:
2.56.5023.942 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Error Message:
Couldn't load the model schema.

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.16299.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461308]

Peak Virtual Memory:
35.5 GB

Private Memory:
1.08 GB

Peak Working Set:
1.06 GB

IE Version:

User ID:
f140123a-0dfa-4434-8f7c-e25e9a0abb0a

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 5, fastCombine: Enabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\v-pavsch\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot360440546.zip

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\v-pavsch\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_EnableReportTheme
PBI_numericSlicerEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
CustomConnectors
PBI_AdobeAnalytics
PBI_qnaExplore
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_customVisualsGallery
PBI_canvasTooltips

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
SowjanyaK
Advocate I

Thank you, it worked for me. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

As @klinejordan mentioned, it's a known issue. listed in Support page Please try the workaround to see if the issue can be solved. 

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

JorisVoorn
Employee

Thanks, worked for me!

BR

Pavel

DerekW

While running this "-resetplatform" command for Windows Defender at an elevated command prompt seems to work for about everyone else, I've been trying this for the last few days, along with uninstalling, re-installing, rebooting, trying to run the command again, etc. and no matter what, I can't use PowerBI Desktop. 

Sometimes I can get PowerBI to open (about 70% of the time), but it's still completely unusable - the report won't render any graphics and throws an error trying to refresh or load any data.  At startup, it sits at "initializing model" for about 3 minutes and sometimes loads to the main screen, throwing an error shortly after loading.  If this happens, my reports will start to open if I select it from the recent list, but all of the items on the report are covered in X's.  Refreshing throws an error.  To make sure that this wasn't my report, I created a blank report with a new (SQL) data source.  It previews fine, but fails when trying to actually load the data.

If PowerBI completely fails to start, then I get the "Unable to start Power BI Desktop" with "A connection cannot be made.  Ensure that the server is running." message.  

There has to be a better way to get support for this.  With all of the errors, it's probably prompted me to send feedback about 50 times, but no idea what that does, or where it goes...

CsCs
Regular Visitor
I have the same problem as DerekW. I used the given solution but it didn't work. The problem still there and exactly the same as before. The error message is still the same "Couldn't load model schema". By the way I am using Bitdefender if it helps..
EnochS
Helper II

Mine just hangs on this screen and I cannot do anything even with a blank version nor if I reinstall to an older version anymore.... Terrible bug... I'm in the middle of a big project..

Power BI March 2018 Error.PNG