Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Not able to change date filter type on Power BI service

Hi team,

End users reported that they are not able to change a date filter type since beginning of last week.

Date filter is set in PBI Desktop to relative "in the last 1 day" to display the data for the previous day by default:

filter ko 1.png

On the service end users were able to change filter type to "advanced" or "basic" in order to display data for any period of time but this feature has disapeared:

filter ko 2.png

Can you please check?

Comments
gstuart
Regular Visitor

It appears that if you edit the report in the Power BI Service you can determine what the user will see in the Reading view mode. For example, if you change the filter to Advanced in the Edit view and save the report your users will see Advanced filter in the Reading view mode.

While the new filter experience is more streamlined, regular users are complaining about the lack of functionality. Especially not being able to switch between Basic or Advanced depending on their needs. The previous filtering experience was superior.

Heat_Death
Regular Visitor

@gstuart  We were aware of that already. You can actually do that in Power BI Desktop and publish the report with the same end result. The unfortunate part is that the user still cannot choose something different. Let's say I had a date field and I chose advanced and published the report. The user then opens it and wants to see the data for the last 5 months including today... they cannot change the filter to relative, so now they have to figure out the actual date they need in order to do a, "is on or after" filter that's built into the advanced filter. Point is, the user needs the ability to switch between basic, advanced and relative.

boujin
Advocate I

I reached out to support and they came back with this reply.

---- From Power Bi Suport ----

We have received an update from the product team and they have identified this as a known issue.

They have found a workaround for this issue and also provided an ETA for the fix to be rolled out.

Workaround:
There are two options to workaround this issue. Option 1: Users can edit the report in the service and in that mode switch between basic and advanced filtering on the filter Option 2: Users can add both types of filters (basic and advanced) for the filters they desire to have both basic and advanced functionality in desktop to the report. Then republish this report to the service

Fix Status:
Fix is planned in April release train which is planned to be deployed in production in all clusters by 4/8.

jthomson
Solution Sage

I've also had this reported by users, hopefully this will be fixed soon

dom_oab
Advocate II

Thanks @boujin for the update.

Waiting for fix delivery, option 2 seems to be an acceptable temporary workaround.

AMD0791
Advocate II

Has anyone confirmed if the fix was done in April?  I'm still seeing this issue on reports in our tenant.

coder_andy
Frequent Visitor

This does not seem to be fixed as of now. Is there a new ETA?

nferay
Frequent Visitor

Hi team,

not seem to be fixed ?

dom_oab
Advocate II

Hi all,

Seems to be fixed on my side, I am now able to change filter type:

pbu_filter.pngfilter_type.png

Jim_B
Frequent Visitor

I don't see any indication that this is resolved.  There does not appear to be any way to switch a date slicer or filter from Relative to Advanced (for example) when viewing the report in PBI Service (in my case users are accessing via Embedded PBI).