Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

No Mail from Cloud Service

We don't receive mails from some of the "send mail" features of the Power BI cloud service.

We know that there is no problem on our side with receiving mails, because, in general, we DO get mails, e.g. when:

• being added to a group
  • when a dashboard is shared with me

But we don't get mails at least on these occasions:

• data alerts
  • report subscription

There are several posts on that issue and none of them has a found a solution so far:

I wonder if the problem only occurs if you are in an enterprise context and your UPN is not the same as your email address. In my case, if the system sends mails to my UPN, i will never receive them.

Here is some more of what I found out:

Using a "Alternate E-Mail-Address": In an enterprise context, I'm not able to set and use an alternate email-address as suggested here. That's because I'm not allowed to change my information settings due to organizational reasons.

But IF i could, there's another problem: According to our AD guys, the "Alternate email" information is stored in an AD-field named "othermails", which can only be set in the Admin-UI if the user got a special role assigned to. But that does not apply, if the user is a simple PBI-User (and no PBI-Admin for example). So putting email addresses into the "alternate email" will fix it only for special users.

Additionally, the "othermails" field doesn't seem to get synced from AD to the AAD. That means that putting email-adresses into that On-Prem-AD-Field wouldn't change a thing for the cloud service.

If the Power BI-function that sends alerting notification uses either the UPN or the "othermails" field, emails get lost. There's a AD field called "mail", which could be used, but perhaps it isn't, at least in some cases.

Sorry if some of the information above is perhaps specific to our case. (after all I'm a BI guy, no AD expert)

If I simply missed something - any help will be appreciated!

Comments
airazabal

My UPN is not the same as my email and changing this is beyond my reach. This issue affects our ability to use the full potential of Power BI. I would like to know how to track the bug's status. 

rodrigodeperon

Hello, some novelty on the solution of this problem? In the company that work occurs the same indicated by the colleagues.

Sokon
Advocate V
Not as far as I know, sorry. My Support ticket got archived without a solution. (They said it won't be forgotten - that was half a year ago.)
SPDevOne

I'm also facing same issue. I have set all the required paramters for report to set subscribtion but it is not working.

xmark
Helper I

Can no one at Microsoft address this please? We have the same issue (UPN different to our email address, and have fully populated the Email and Alternative Email fields) but it still does not send emails.

Massive issue.

dpohl
Regular Visitor

Same problem still exists as of July 2018.