Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

No Mail from Cloud Service

We don't receive mails from some of the "send mail" features of the Power BI cloud service.

We know that there is no problem on our side with receiving mails, because, in general, we DO get mails, e.g. when:

• being added to a group
  • when a dashboard is shared with me

But we don't get mails at least on these occasions:

• data alerts
  • report subscription

There are several posts on that issue and none of them has a found a solution so far:

I wonder if the problem only occurs if you are in an enterprise context and your UPN is not the same as your email address. In my case, if the system sends mails to my UPN, i will never receive them.

Here is some more of what I found out:

Using a "Alternate E-Mail-Address": In an enterprise context, I'm not able to set and use an alternate email-address as suggested here. That's because I'm not allowed to change my information settings due to organizational reasons.

But IF i could, there's another problem: According to our AD guys, the "Alternate email" information is stored in an AD-field named "othermails", which can only be set in the Admin-UI if the user got a special role assigned to. But that does not apply, if the user is a simple PBI-User (and no PBI-Admin for example). So putting email addresses into the "alternate email" will fix it only for special users.

Additionally, the "othermails" field doesn't seem to get synced from AD to the AAD. That means that putting email-adresses into that On-Prem-AD-Field wouldn't change a thing for the cloud service.

If the Power BI-function that sends alerting notification uses either the UPN or the "othermails" field, emails get lost. There's a AD field called "mail", which could be used, but perhaps it isn't, at least in some cases.

Sorry if some of the information above is perhaps specific to our case. (after all I'm a BI guy, no AD expert)

If I simply missed something - any help will be appreciated!

Comments
PowerDAX
Resolver III

We have the same issue where our UPN <> email address.  Our UPN is our userid @ the fully qualified internal domain.

Our Office365 group is going to talk to Microsoft to see if they can get email from the user attribute for Power BI subscriptions (not sure which one but would assume from the email address attribute).  If Microsoft cannot fix this issue, our Exchange team will possibly add the the UPN as an exchange alias.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Sokon

I think you’ve enabled the “send mail” feature properly after so many investigations. Actually I saw several users have encountered this problem but I cannot repro the same issue.

I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page) since it maybe account specific.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Sokon
Advocate V
Thanks for the confirmation. I opened a support ticket. @v-haibl-msft: I'm curious: Aren't you able to reproduce it because you can't simply set up a environment where UPN & Mail are not the same - or could you do it and didn't get the same results as me?
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Sokon

It seems to be a known issue according to this thread you replied. Hope the fix can be available soon.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

crvera
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Same problem here (not getting any mail from report subcription), when UPN & Mail are not the same.

Any solution so far?

Regards,

Sokon
Advocate V
Nope. The last Information i got on this was an answer to my Support ticket in 20170405 with following information: "This is to inform you that our Product Group is aware of the current issue and actively working on it to resolve. At this point of time we cannot commit on ETA for the fix."
nmc16

Same issue here - no email reports. 

Any word back on the support ticket you put up Sokon?

crvera
Regular Visitor

For me it is working since 3 weeks. Actually I don't know why, my local IT team did nothing but maybe the global IT team did something.

Regards,

Sokon
Advocate V
No News so far, sorry. In the meanwhile, getting the Exchange Admins to add the UPN as additional E-Mail-Address went smoother than I thought. We ended up applying the Workaround, and it worked.